[breakup series: nct dream] - jaemin

[song; somebody else —> ebony day orig. the 1975]

[22:42]

his warm arms are wrapped around her form, but her skin still feels cold to the touch on the bed entangled with him.

jaemin snuggles into her back, his lips pressing lightly against her neck and shoulder.

she's silent, not giving into his touch before she speaks.

"i'm cheating on you, nana."

the words are a shock to him as he sits up, alarmed and surprised.

"what the hell does that mean?"

"before you get upset, i just wanted you to know, i'm sorry and that this isn't working out between us anymore."

she states, raising herself up.

"you don't think we're working?"

his heart throbbed in his chest as she reached out to hold his hand, the contact suddenly too much for him as he flinched away from her touch.

"i'm not happy—i'm not saying i'm not happy with you, i am— it's just, i don't know anymore, nana."

jaemin goes quiet for a minute, biting his lip before beginning to process the information of pain.

so she said she found somebody else, and he prayed that that was just a lie.

he said he loved her one more time, in case that would change her mind.

"i love you, you know?"

the retort leaves his lip in almost a whisper when his fingers dig into the sheets covering him.

her eyes drooped down as she heard those three words, guilt and shame washing over her soul.

"i know."

but it wasn't as if his words of sincerity meant anything anymore.

she didn't regret a single action that took place.

jaemin leaned over to hug her, not quite ready to accept the fate that was destined.

she said,

"i don't want your body but i know that you can find yourself somebody else."

in that moment, their love has gone cold and it doesn't feel like home when he holds her close.

jaemin pulls away slightly, eyes gazing over her own, looking at her to trying to figure out if this is what she really wants.

he thought long and hard about her words that left her lips.

"i don't want your body but i know that you can find yourself somebody else."

then jaemin leans back onto the bed, turning over to his side, facing away from her, his eyes already watering.

with his shaking heart, he wasn't sure why in this moment he had been so calm and accepting when on the inside, it felt as if his soul had just been ripped away out of his body.

"i guess i don't want your body if you're wishing you were lying here with someone else."

he mumbles and she lets out a sigh, not wanting to disrupt his thoughts with the nonsense she'll only bring him.

so she said she's found somebody else, and he hoped that this wasn't goodbye.

but he can't help but wonder what went wrong, to make 'forever' dead and gone.

• • •

[01:53]

he's resting his eyes as he lays under the covers of the bed.

the bed is cold and freezing despite all these sheets, making jaemin shiver inside.

he turns to face the center of the bed, his eyes only meeting with the wall that is filled with absolutely nothing, no pictures like it used to.

in the empty silence, his mind is being brought to a few months ago when he had been in the same position.

the feeling now had changed and altered itself from what it had been long ago, from when only happiness filled his lungs and not smokes of heartbreak.

those few but simple words stuck with him and it had until now, always reminding him and taunting him.

"i don't want your body but i know that you can find yourself somebody else."

jaemin groans and roughly grabs a pillow, harshly flinging it across the room until it hits the closet door.

then he falls back onto the bed, breaking into a sob that he had been holding in for the longest time.

he looks over to her place, where she used to sleep, running over the area with his hand.

"you were wrong. i cannot find myself somebody else."

jaemin whispers through the ache in his heart, the pain causing damage to his soul.

"it was only you."