before - nct chenji

[21:38]

"who do you have a crush on, jisung?"

jaemin asks teasingly, wiggling his brows as jisung drops his eyes to the half-empty water bottle lying flat down and pointing towards him.

"n-no one."

he mumbles, reaching over to spin the bottle of water, eyes avoiding the bright-eyed boy's gaze.

"come on, jisung. we all know who it is. just go for it and tell her how you really feel inside."

donghyuck comments, crossing his arms against his chest.

"if you get rejected then you can just move to america."

the blush on jisung's cheeks seep through his cheeks, letting his friends know that his feelings weren't of simplicity to go and explain like a casual love story.

the truth was that jisung liked you a lot and thought of his feelings as more than having a crush.

but whenever the boy got close enough to even express what was in his heart, his mind told him to panic and pull himself away.

to jisung, confessing had always been a scary and horrible action that anyone couldn't ever perform.

the fact that you had grown up alongside jisung and were his best friend only made it more difficult due to the situation.

you've known each other forever and jisung never grew the nerve to tell you what you needed to hear.

but he really needs to before it's all too late.

he needs to confess his feelings before he loses you.

chenle lets out chuckle and sips from his soda pop, enjoying the hangout night with his friends.

• • •

[15:18]

jisung paces around his room as he held his phone in his hand, desperately wishing for you to pick up his call.

"come on, come on."

he mutters to himself.

"jisungie, what's up?"

when he hears your voice, he swears his heart grew in size, making the uneasiness in his stomach intensify with every passing second.

"oh, you answered. are you busy? there's something i have to say to you."

he says, biting his lip in anticipation for an awaiting answer from you.

"i'm not busy. what is it?"

jisung lets out a subtle sigh and gulps.

"can you meet me at the park in an hour? it's important."

"wait, hold on—chenle's calling me."

you say and jisung's smile falters.

"chenle? what for?"

he asks, suspicious, but he lets it go anyways.

"not sure but i'll meet you at the park for sure. is that cool?"

the thought of being shaken off by the person he liked saddened him, yet he knew it was all going to be okay.

jisung mumbles and 'okay' but inside he was quite upset.

if only he had confessed a little sooner.