Speaking Clearly

Kirishima POV:

"You just have to think it, and it comes out naturally. All dragons and half dragons have the same wavelength when they think aloud. So think of what you want to say and try saying it."

"No understand.."

"It's like humming, almost. Go on, try it again." Toyo ushered, sitting patiently.

"F-f-flower-" I clap a hand over my mouth. I did it..

"Keep going! I understood you that time!" He smiled.

"I did it? Oh I did it! I did it Toyo!" I squealed with excitement, jumping up and pumping my fists.

"See? It's so much easier than English, right?"

"Yes! Wait, how? It took me forever to be able to carry a small conversation in English.. And Tamaki still says it's bad!" I say, now confused on how I can go from not being able to communicate and all to speaking their tongue perfectly.

"That's because you're only sharing your thoughts. With English you have to actually move your mouth to form words, but with Doyi, it's merely sharing wavelengths." He explained, shrugging.

"Oh, I understand." I grin, happy that I can finally speak my whole mind. "Can normal humans understand us?"

"No, they can't. Something about their brain? I don't know.."

"Oh, okay."

"Ugh this is great! Now you can finally talk to us with words! I thought your head might fall off from nodding so much!"

"Yeah.."

Although I was thrilled to be able to communicate clearly with all my new friends, it was disappointed that I still wouldn't be able to speak good with my old ones. That is, if I ever saw them again. And if I did, would they even want me back?

It's been over two months and they haven't come back for me.. Which is fine.. Not like I want them back anyways..

"Hey, you good?" Toyo interrupts my thoughts.

"Hm? Oh, me? Yeah, I'm fine.." I answer, rubbing my arm.

"Okay then.. hunting is right after the sun sets if you want to join. We need to stack up on our meat pile, it's getting low." Toyo offered, standing up.

"I'll think about it.. I think Kashi wanted to take me somewhere tonight.."

"That's alright, just remember the rules. No l-"

"No loud noises, going out of the mountain range, and flying above the clouds. Got it." I finish, giving him a small smile.

"I'm so proud of you! It's so exciting that we can talk now! How long did it take for you to get that wavelength down? Two weeks?" He asked, as I was grinning happily. Toyo was proud of me..

"I think so."

"I'm so proud of you, kid." Toyo patted my back, smiling widely. "Run along now, I know Kashi gets quite impatient."

Giving a small wave, I leave Toyo's hut and run into the forest. Past the tree with the two large knots, past the small stream, and past the burnt down bushes.

Grabbing one of the bigger branches, I swing myself up, and reach out for the next branch. Then the next, and continue pulling myself upwards into the tree.

"Kashi? Are you up there? Toyo taught me to speak right!" I call, but there was no answer.

Popping my head through our platform's entrance, I peer inside. She wasn't in there..