Chapter 41: Draco's Weakened Defenses

A.N.

Chapter Song: Big Top by Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer

I love these two, they are so talented and the sound they create is amazing.

After a few seconds of not-so-hetero displays of affection, someone catcalls and we both shy away from each other. I get in on his side, since the door is right behind me, and I scoot to the passenger seat and buckle in. Draco follows suit.

"So, I'm going to take three guesses at what you're craving and if I get it wrong all three times, I will eat the most disgusting food you know of."

I smile a little, pushing my feet against the dashboard, "Is this some kind of test to see if you can read my mind?"

"No, it's more of a 'see-how-well-I-actually-know-you' test."

"Then fire away," I say with a laugh, turning on the radio and humming the catchy tune to it.

"Fast food?"

"Wrong." I tell him, making a buzzer noise.

"Italian takeout?" I give him a funny look and he laughs, "Guess not. How about-" he pauses at the red light, taking a long look at my face as though he is actually trying to read my mind. "God dammit, Potter, you want Chinese food don't you?"

I burst into a fit of laughter as he swells with pride, "I'll take that as a definite 'yes'."

He finds a small, family-owned Chinese restaurant and pulls in next to a square hole in the wall disguised as a take-out window. I unbuckle my seatbelt and scoot over to his side, my hand pressing on his thigh for support as I point out what I want from the menu. I spare a look over my shoulder to ask what he wants and his face is flushed but he responds he'll have 'his usual'. The guy nods, all smiles, before sliding the glass window back into place.

I lean off of Draco's leg to turn up the volume of the radio so I can hear the song that's playing and he hands me the food once it passes through the window and I sit it on my lap. On the way out of town and towards his house, he suddenly speaks up.

"About earlier... I just wanted to say that... well, thank you."

"For what?"

"Saying you're glad you met me, it means a lot. I was worried that I was, I don't know, bugging you, I guess. I just love touching you, knowing you're there, and it makes things seem a little brighter."

"Whoa there, Shakespeare," I joke, unbuckling my seatbelt and scooting closer, despite the weird feeling in my gut. "No need to think it's all a dream yet. Don't go soft on me now."

Taking his right hand off the wheel, he pulls me closer and I lean against his side, still holding the food in my lap.

"When we get inside, let's watch a couple movies and if you still feel like telling me about that... thing, then feel free to."

"Sounds alright with me," I tell him, scooting away once we get closer to the manor. He scrunches his mouth a bit and his hand returns to the steering wheel as the sun sets. "What time is it?"

"About 5pm or so, why?"

"I forgot for a second that the sun sets earlier in the winter."

"Too caught up in gawking at me?" Draco teased, getting out of the truck.

I follow, smirking, "With a face like yours, who wouldn't stare?"

Stuffing his right hand in his pocket, hitting his shoulder against mine playfully, and taking the bag of food, we walked up the porch stairs together. Things felt right, and maybe after telling him what's on my mind we'll finally be on the same page. Maybe if we're completely honest with each other, things can change.

Walking through the foyer, we are met with Lucius Malfoy, stern-faced and arms crossed. We freeze in place, and the man's eyes harden.

"You're late for dinner."

"I said we were heading out, I assumed you wouldn't wait up." Draco said cautiously, his grip tightening on the plastic bag.

"We didn't, but I do not appreciate the disrespect of not coming home for dinner, Draco."

I felt goosebumps rise along my spine and down my arms, how dare you speak to your own son that way.

"I wanted to spend time with my friend since I'll be gone for the next few days, leaving him here alone."

"Not alone, Draco. He'll be with your mother and the servant."

"Sure, whatever." He spits curtly, much to the shock of his father, "We have dinner to eat in my room, so if you don't mind-"

"I do mind." His father spat back as Draco took his other hand, gripping my wrist and pulling me around his father and towards the stairs.

"Well too fucking bad, father, because I need a friend who isn't paid by you to be kept around. Don't look so shocked, I've known for years now. Now, if you'll excuse me," Draco muttered, dragging me up the stairs and to his room.

"What," I say, mouth agape as he unloads the food onto a tray. "the hell was that all about? You are aware you just disrespected the guy who was pissed at you in the first place for being 'disrespectful'. Do you have a death wish?"

"I just... I don't like him treating me like that when you're standing right there. Plus, I know I'll get hell for it while we're gone but it's worth it. I've always been my father's lap dog and I'm tired of doing what my father wants me to. Over this weekend, I'm going to tell him that I will do what I want to, regardless of what he says."

"I'm proud of you for that. Draco, let's forget about your dad. Eat, watch some movies, then we can talk some before bed."

"Sounds perfect." Draco whispers, trying to hide a smile as he sets my plate in front of me. "Bon appetite."

"You're a dork, put in the damn movie." I laugh, shoving his shoulder.

"How does Little Ashes sound?"

"What's it about?"

"No idea. I bought it at the movie shop in town, got a discount because they couldn't find the box."

"Well, let's give it a shot."

After we finished eating, the movie had been going for a while and I was leaning against Draco's side, holding hands. Suddenly, two of the guys are making out and the air seems to get a billion times heavier. He clears his throat and turns off the movie.

"No offense but can we go ahead and talk, that was a little awkward."

"Sure... Well, Draco... It's about my past."

A.N.

Guys, I am REALLY behind on updates for this fic. (This chapter, for instance, I wrote it last month.) My backlog which usually has 3 extra before I update currently has ONE.

My other fic updating today, however, has about 4 because that story has been around about the same amount of time and it's further from the end so I felt the need to work on it more... plus I, honestly, don't know how to proceed with this story until I get reactions for the next chapter.

I love this story, but the closer I get to the end the more I dread writing it because I feel it'll be rushed.

However, I will probably maintain regular updates depending on the reaction to the next chapter. If there's a huge inflow of love for it then I may be more liberal with what I plan on doing with the plot from there.

Meaning no mini-hiatus. But I may need a couple of "guinea pigs" for the next chapter. PM me if you want me to send you the next chapter in full (only 2 will be chosen from everyone who sends in a request within the next 12 hours) so you can give me the green-light or critique on it. I will be choosing the people based on loyalty (amount of reviews/pms with me previously/politeness in asking).

I love you guys immensely and I want this story to be a good one.

Thanks.

~deathbyinsomnia