Chapter 23: For the Asking

Chapter Song: Terrible Thought by Poe

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I arrive at McGonagall's class, and Draco is sitting in Neville's usual seat in the corner. Neville senses the distaste coming from Draco and sits by Luna on the other side of the room. He's silent, sparing me worried glances, as Ms. McGonagall goes in depth about the first World War and it's effect on the world. I, on the other hand, could only think of Draco and his suggestion. Now that I live with Snape, technically speaking, I'd need his permission instead of my aunt and uncle's and quite frankly, I am afraid of how that conversation will pan out. I can't exactly just bring it up and ask, there's no doubt he'd disapprove. Wouldn't he?

I look up at Draco and catch his eye and he writes on a corner of an unused sheet of paper, Something wrong?

Shaking my head, I write Do I seem weird to you?

He stares at the paper for a while before his shoulders slump and he exhales through his nose, You seem distant.

Good deduction, Holmes. I wrote back, smiling sarcastically.

I'm pretty sure that I'm Watson. he scribbled back, rolling his eyes.

You wish you were Watson. I retorted.

Maybe I do. he challenged.

I suppressed a laugh, but then I turned to stone, feeling the hair on my arms rise; I could hear Tom again.

Hello, Harry, how is the blatant flirting coming along?

I've never heard you around Draco before...

Maybe you're getting worse, maybe you're having a mental breakdown, let's flip a coin shall we?

Wouldn't be the first time I've had a mental break.

Now, see, this is why you shouldn't be sarcastic. You're so good at it no one can tell the difference.

Can we discuss this trivial information later?

No. You've got to tell Draco you can't go over for the holidays. Do it.

Why would I do that?

He'll find out about us.

I don't care.

Bullshit.

Language.

English.

You're hilarious. Seriously, I'm not cancelling.

If Snape says no?

Then I guess my first job as his son is to be a normal teenager.

You just called yourself his son.

Did I?

Yes, you need to watch your words.

I feel Draco shaking my shoulder, "We're doing partner work."

I nod slowly, slowly feeling Riddle leave my mind, and my focus returns. I reach out and take Draco's pencil from his desk again, writing one more thing on the paper. Something came up and I realized I really should have asked before accepting your invitation.

He shook his head in understanding, whispering, "It's alright if you can't. I was just going to help you get some practice in before the Tri-Way selections."

"Thanks again for helping me with that."

"Gladly."

A pleasant silence settled between us as we both read our portions of the textbook silently. Once I finished, I laid my head down and closed my eyes. I could feel Draco's head against my neck and his feet tangled with mine as we curled up together on the beach. A small smile returned to my face as I imagined him smiling, holding my hand, and almost-

I felt something brush against the small hairs on the nape of my neck, like the tiniest touch of fingertips. Draco... I hurriedly snap my head up and Draco turns away, frowning, his face slightly red. The bell rings for the end of class and everyone heads to the lunch hall to eat. Draco stays behind, putting his things away slowly.

"Want to eat lunch together, Harry?"

"Maybe some other time, I need to do something."

"Why do you keep blowing me off?" he was hurt, I could tell by the look in his eyes.

I sighed, "It's nothing personal."

"Is this about Neville? About what happened?"

I shook my head, moving past him, "It's something else."

"What is it, Harry?" he grabbed my arm, his eyes scanning my face.

"None of your concern." I pushed the hand off, walking towards Snape's classroom.

I felt a weight on my shoulders and I frowned, I'm shutting him out again.

...

I walked in and Severus was speaking to Lupin about something. Lupin seemed casual but Severus seemed defensive, his arms crossed as he sat on the edge of his desk. Severus noticed me first, his eyes flicking over to me.

"Harry. Did you need something? Is everything alright?"

I nodded, apparently Albus told him about my... condition, "I was wondering if I could spend the holidays with a friend to prepare for the Tri-Way selections."

"Sounds alright, who will you be staying with?" he asked, ignoring Lupin entirely, a placid expression on his face.

"Draco Malfoy." I say reluctantly and Lupin looks at Severus, his calm expression vanished, and quietly excuses himself from the room.

"He's bad news, Harry."

"He's been nothing but a good friend to me."

"I'll pick you up early if you happen to need me, feel free to call at any time."

"Thanks, Severus." I smile, headed out the classroom and stop, turning to look at him.

"I'm happy you said I could take care of you, Harry."

"I'm happy I get to be your son." I see something happen in his face and he covers his mouth with his palm.

"Thank you, Harry. That means a lot to me." he takes a hard swallow and exhales sharply as I slink out of the room.

Against my better judgement, I walk into the Slytherin hallway and knock on the common room door. I'm let in by Blaise, who's all smiles.

"What are you looking for, Harry? How did you know I was here?"

Walking inside, I mutter 'I didn't.' under my breath, "Where is Draco?"

"Upstairs, first door on the left, why?"

"Need to ask him something."

"Ask what?"

"I'm gonna ask what size dress he wears." I respond sarcastically, pushing past him and going up the stairs.

I see the hall fork, the right side with Boys painted in script and Girls on the left. Looking around I see multiple doors, each with a single name on it and I roll my eyes, stupid rich kids. I knock on the door a few times before hearing Draco's voice yell, "Hold on a second!"

He yanks open the door, "Blaise! What did I tell you about-! Oh."

I shrink a little, "Can I come in?"