Chapter 7: The (Almost) Fight

Chapter song: Settle For Satin by Alkaline Trio

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I let go of his hand and push past him into class, he follows close behind and the bell trills. I hand her my note but Draco sits over at his seat without question. I look around and find Neville sitting next to an empty seat, Hermione on the left side of said seat. I grin, sitting between them.

"Hey, guys." I say with a smile, putting my bag on the ground.

Together, they say with a smile, "Hey, Harry."

I laugh at them, "You guys know each other, I assume."

They lean forward, look at each other, lean back, and look at me with furrowed eyebrows, "No, not at all."

"Never met her."

Their words run on top of each other and I barely catch it. The teacher stares quizzically at the note before walking towards him and slamming the note on my desk.

Professor Lockhart leans down, staring me in the eye and speaks loudly, "Starting off the year with a forged note is not a good way to begin the year, Mr. Potter."

He was trying to get the class' attention and it was working, swimmingly, everyone's' eyes were on me. Even Draco who had a small amused smile on his face. Immediately, I feel myself start to sweat, I feel like I'm going to pass out, I won't lie. I'm not all that great with confrontation against someone who could kick me out of school.

"Professor, I didn't forge that note, it's even signed, sir."

He leaves his hand on the note, standing upright as a toothy grin forms on his mouth.

"Oh, really? So you and Professor Snape were just 'having a chat on the way out of class and he distracted you from your next class, so you have no right to be punished'?" I suddenly wished I had read the note first before giving it to Lockhart.

People started to whisper, but I shakily held my ground, "Yes, sir. He asked me where I learned Greek because I was proficient considering I had never taken a formal class... sir."

He cocks an eyebrow, suspicious, "He doesn't talk to students, he despises them."

I suddenly felt really offended. Severus, I mean Professor Snape, had been really nice to me, he knew my mom, he defended me. I stood quickly, looking at him eye to eye. He flinched slightly but glared at me.

I poked his chest, "You mean like YOU do? Seems to me like if it wasn't for your money you'd just be a baby in a designer suit. A petulant, little brat."

His nostrils flared and his fist shook like he was going to hit me.

Suddenly, I hear Draco's voice from his seat. He's lounging back, his legs crossed at the ankles on his desk.

He's a bit too relaxed, I think idly.

"Gidleroy, I would start class if I were you. I'd hate to have to tell my father that you didn't teach me the ways of business just because of some other kid's tardy note."

I saw genuine fear flash in his eyes before he stiffly walked to the front of the class.

Well, that explains his calmness, I suppose.

Wait, did he just defend me?

What the actual fuck?

I peeked at him from the corner of my eye, some people were staring dumbfoundedly at me, others at Draco, and others at the Professor. I sat down, trying to collect my thoughts, and Lockhart started class. About halfway through the lesson, I look over at Draco. He's watching me with a really concerned look.

His eyes dart around to make sure no one is watching before he mouths, "Are you alright, Harry?"

I pretend like I'm laying my head down, mouthing back, "Yeah..."

A small smile settled on his face, "Good."

After a while he looks forward. I continue to stare, confused, before mouthing his name.

"Draco?"

He looks over again, blinking and flicking his eyebrows up a bit to let me know he was listening... well, watching, in this case.

I mouthed reluctantly, "Thanks."

He smiled real big and put his head in his folded arm, pushing his hair back. If I didn't know anything about the guy, I'd say he looked a bit embarrassed. Then again, I don't know him so who am I to judge?

I frown.

Back to Earth, Potter.

I looked back at the front of the class as Lockhart looked for a certain page in his guide, thinking over what Lockhart said. I may not always watch the teacher, but I always listen. Unless I'm asleep, that's a different story. Confirming to myself that I was caught up, I wrote down some notes.

I feel Hermione poke me, "A note, not sure who it's from. I think it's from Lavender, in front of Draco."

I nod, taking the folded paper and opening it quietly in my lap.

It said From Lavender on the inside before saying: "Thank you for letting me sit by Ron, I really like him. Even if it was because you don't like him, thanks. :) "

I looked at her and mouthed "No problem" to which she smiled meekly and went back to work.

I noticed Draco mouthing to me, "Turn it over, Potter."

I was confused but did as he said.

Written in a neat, elegant cursive it said: "No one will know about our one-on-one game. I'll even take us off campus to play, if you want. Less likely to embarrass you, right? Anyway, if you fold the paper back up and stick it in your pocket I'll take that as a sign the game is still on. Are you in, Potter? Or are you out?"

He was no longer looking at me so I folded the page and hurriedly stuck it in my pocket. There's a game after classes today, I think, maybe I'll go watch Draco play.

See what I'm up against... Yeah, just for research.

That's obviously the only reason, I assure myself, sparing a glance in his direction.