Chapter 38: The Morning After

A.N

Chapter Song: Red by Colin 'Booglain' Webster

This one actually has a reggae sound but I still thought it fit well so *shrug* here it is.

~Saturday: Day 12~

As morning comes, I find myself staring at the ceiling; counting the swirls in the paint overhead. I feel Draco beside me, his arm wrapped around my stomach and I feel disgusting. I feel as though I'm leading it on, making this bigger than what it should be- just a little crush with the perfect match. I glance at him, his mouth hanging open slightly, small snores escaping his lips and I want to laugh but the feeling draws my eyes back up to the ceiling as my eyes turn from somber to sad.

This is so fucked up, I tell myself, squeezing my eyes shut.

Suddenly, the day I bit Neville's head off about asking out Luna came to mind. It's as if someone had 'flipped the switch' in a Jekyll and Hyde type of madness, but the madness was my own. Stressed, angry, and tired of hearing Tom's voice whispering in my ear; in that moment I felt like I was becoming just like Tom and the concept it put me into hysterics. Am I really getting better? Or is Draco making all of this worse? Only that one instance had I spoken as though I wasn't even there anymore, but with Tom making so many appearances, it makes me unsure as to whether or not he's lying to me- I, in turn, lying to myself- am I really improving?

Draco's eyes open wearily and he blinks them a few times before looking up at me, yawning. His neck shifts on my arm, my arm a point far past numb, and he seems to debate internally whether or not he should apologize for waking up, clinging to me. A sleepy smile overcomes him and he pulls me closer, deciding against the apology.

"Good morning." he says thickly, eyes closed as he stretches his legs.

"Are you always this clingy?" I ask light-heartedly, trying to get my mind off of Tom for a brief second.

"Only in bed," he says seriously, then breaks into a fit of giggles. "Sorry, I'm kind of slap-happy when I first wake up."

"It's fine," I tell him, holding back a comment on how adorable he is at that moment. "So about today-"

"Our date is today."

"Right, well- uhm- what will we be doing?"

"It depends on whether you want something out of The Notebook or if you want something less embarrassing." I give him a look and he laughs, playing with the hem of my left sleeve, "First option involves going out on the water in the row boat and having dinner in the town, the latter being we go out and get you some necessities, like a couple of good books, exploring new things, and a new mp3 player- I saw your old one and it barely held 25 songs, it's got to go."

I almost try to defend the mp3 hidden in the bottom of my bag but I swallow it down, he has a point. It was Dudley's when he was 7, and I'm pretty sick of hand-me-downs, even if that makes me owe Draco, I'll take him up on his offer. What do I have to lose? I tell him I choose the second option, which he nods at and moves his head to my chest, whispering something like 'let's stay like this... just a little bit longer'.

After I took a nap, I woke up to find Draco messing with the hem of my shirt again, and I am about to call him out on it when he smiles at me like he knew I was watching. How strange. Then his smile goes a little limp.

"I wanted to go out today because I have to leave with my dad on a business trip early tomorrow morning and I'll be back in time for New Years Eve."

"I'll be alone here for six days?"

"No, of course not... Milton will be here, so will my mother. My father told me last night, it was all of a sudden. If I'd known-"

I shake my head, "It's fine... We'll have to be back to school on the third, anyway, then, the Tri-Way will start. I'll just practice while you're gone."

"In this cold weather?"

"If I can play in the cold, I can play in the indoor soccer field."

He nods in understanding and slips away, getting up to get dressed and I feel myself missing the weight of his head on my chest. I watch him as he goes through the daily routine of getting his clothes and going into the nearby bathroom, changing out of sight. I suddenly feel just slightly conscious of the fact I am the only one of the two of us who doesn't mind changing in front of the other. I sigh, knowing I'm overthinking again, so I sigh and rise to my feet, pulling on a new pair of blue jeans and a maroon-colored tee. I stride to the mirror, running my fingers through my hair and managing it to be half-decent.

On the way to the door, I run into Draco who's styled his hair just a tad more than usual and I smell cologne waft into my nose and I feel myself smile as he squirms awkwardly.

"You're excited," I pointed out. "Oh, and you look great, by the way."

He smiled smugly, "Of course, are you impressed?"

"Undoubtedly," I say with a playful smile, rolling my eyes.

"I'll tell my folks we're going out," he tells me, walking me down the hall towards the sitting room.

"You mean like 'going out' or 'going out'?"

"It's one date, we aren't going out yet." He laughed, shrugging me off for a second as he peeped his head into the room, telling his father we were going into town for a few hours, to which he muttered some reply. I tried to ignore the yet in his sentence, all the while. He hadn't even thought about it when he said it, but it made my stomach twist.

I'm definitely in over my head.

A.N.

This is the first of the two-part serial update for the Yule Season!

Thanks for a great 2 years, you guys!