Chapter 15: Released From Prison

Chapter Song: Prison by Joesph Arthur

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I felt the urge to throw up, and I felt myself gag. I bolted from my chair, ignoring the stares and running out into the parking lot, past the cars, until I found what I hoped was still there. I fell to my knees behind the bushes, accidentally pulling the rim of the metal garbage can with me. I puked violently into the can, tears squeezing out from the corner of my eyes. The back of my head pounded, my stomach muscles felt like they were being sawed in half, and I felt like I was breathing fire from my throat. The bile stung and once I puked, what felt like, what I'd eaten for the past month, I collapsed and let the can upright itself.

"Harry, are you alright?" The softness in that voice made me almost want to smile.

Draco.

"What're you doing here?"

I felt something ice cold against my temple and I looked up to see his stony expression and a water bottle pressed against my face. The emotionless expression didn't reach his eyes, they were filled with concern and they kept checking me over, making sure I was okay. I was grateful for that. I tried to stand up but my legs were shaky, causing me to fall back to my knees. He sighed, kneeling next to me and brushed my mussed hair out of my eyes before pressing his palm to my forehead, then his cheek.

"God, Harry, you're on fire." He muttered, handing me the bottle.

"A simple, 'you're hot for a dude' would suffice."

"Even when you feel like crap, you still manage to be a smartass."

He smiled for a second before shaking his head and pulling me a little away from the wretched smell and toward the bushes that shielded us from view from the parking lot. I felt his hand linger a bit before feeling I was strong enough to sit up by myself. I finally made the effort to remember I should probably start drinking the water he gave me. Dehydration and sick doesn't mix well. I spared him a look from the corner of my eye before twisting at the cap on the bottle.

After several attempts with shaky hands, that were now sore due to unnecessary friction, Draco brushed his fingertips over my hand and took the bottle from me gently. He twisted it open easily and handed it to me, not saying a word. I wanted to thank him for being here when I needed someone. I was glad it was him, and not anyone else. I spared a quivering smile at him before taking a drink from the bottle. I swallowed a few extra times, trying to wet my throat.

"Thank you, Draco." It sounded raspy, guttural, but I was glad I could speak at all.

I'd never puked this hard before and I was pretty sure any more and I could've temporarily damaged my throat from the stomach acid.

"Harry, you probably should let your throat rest a bit."

"I'm fine."

I was totally not fine.

"Anyway, you never answered me. What are you doing out here?"

"Looking for you." His eyes shifted to his feet, refusing to look me in the eyes.

"And why would you do something as stupid as that? Tell me the truth."

"Excuse me?" He looked back at me.

Surprise. Confusion. And something else I can't place.

"You were skipping earlier, right? Why would you suddenly come looking for me?"

He swallows, takes a breath, then pulls a pack of gum from his pocket and chews one.

He offers me one and I take it thoughtlessly, as he stalls.