Chapter 8: Friend or Foe

Chapter song: The End of the Beginning by Black Sabbath

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I walk in the classroom and an older woman with a 'Victorian-era' librarian look about her sits calmly behind her desk, watching everyone. She motions to me when no one is really paying attention, too busy settling into their desks before class. Walking up to her she doesn't smile, even though I can feel that she is the type of person who likes to smile, she's too professional for that.

She lets out a half smile, "Oh, Mr. Potter I've heard you've already had a little skirmish with Professor Lockhart?"

I kind of smile a bit too, "Yeah, you heard about that?"

Her smile is contagious, I wish Aunt Petunia was like her.

"Oh, everyone has, dear. I know this is inappropriate but well done. Thank you. He's been such a pompous prick since he was hired and you've made him speechless!"

I immediately choked a laugh when she said 'prick'.

"Well I was just saying that it was unfair for him to insult myself and a teacher just for embarrassment."

"Yes, he's always had that problem, I'm afraid... anyhow, get to your seat. I expect great things from you, Mr. Potter."

I nod, heading to my seat. Sitting down, I watch out the window, Neville in front of me and Hermione nowhere to be found.

I lean forward and ask and he just mutters, "I think she takes Art History for this period."

I wonder to myself about Neville, it seems we have a lot in common, I want to talk to him about why he was so surprised when he heard my name. When Professor McGonagall isn't looking I ask him if he wants to hang out tonight and he shakes his head a bit.

"Harry, we share a room, ya didn't remember that?"

I shake my head, "Not much of a meet-'n'-greet kinda person."

He nods in understanding before sighing, "Hermione will be at the library after the game, we can go there if you want to do homework together, I can join in I guess."

I agree and then zone out for the rest of the period, only half-listening to what the teacher was saying.

I keep hearing a voice scratching in the back of my head, Who are you fooling? Who would accept you, Harry Potter?

...

Once classes are over, I head to the field with Hermione and Neville, who are both excited to have a small break from constantly studying after school. We go to the top on the Gryffindor/ Hufflepuff bleachers. I watch the game, impressed with the overall rigor of the competition. Admittedly, the Slytherin portion plays pretty dirty, when it comes to sportsmanship they have none. When the game is over, the S/R team beating the G/H team 6-0, I walk down the bleachers with my friends, about to head with them to the library to finish our neglected homework assignments.

I hear my name, already knowing who's calling out to me.

I hear Neville whisper to me before running off with 'mione, "Be careful around him, he isn't respected by choice, Harry."

I nod and watch Draco walk up to me, "So, what'd you think?"

I take a look at his teammates giving evil grins and high-fiving each other.

"I think you're pretty good, your team on the other hand, does nothing but cheat."

He scoffs, "Prove it."

It was at this point I showed off my special talent, the only reason I have such exceptional grades. I listed every play, every move by every player, start to finish, making a point to emphasize all the bad calls and cheating his team did. He stood there, watching me with a dumbfounded expression, when I finished he laughed.

"Wow, and to think my teammates say you're an idiot."

I frown, "I'll pretend like that wasn't an insult."

Another laugh, "Good, because it wasn't one. Now, you're still coming with me off-campus tomorrow, aren't you?"

I realize it's kinda hard to stay mad at him.

"Yeah, because I saw your moves today, I may get better against you."

He clapped his hand on my neck, grinning wide, "See to it that you're not late."

"Meet me tomorrow at the willow, bring soccer clothes separate and bring your phone, iPod, you know, whatever. Be there by exactly 6am or I am leaving without you."

I smile fakely, "Oh, what an honor, THE son of Malfoy is taking ME to play soccer. OH, HAPPY DAY!"

He slaps his hand over my mouth, "Shut up, will you? I thought you agreed to a one-on-one game. You blurt and everyone will be there so shut it."

I almost yell out, 'Would you like that dress in pink, young master Draco?!' as he walks off but I stop myself. I'd rather not people know we're friends... rivals... whatever the hell we are. It's really weird to feel like this, I want to get to know him but I know it's most definitely a bad idea. Why else would the voice be back?

Good timing, perhaps?

I hear and I roll my eyes, this sassy motherfucker is getting on my last goddamned nerve.

Language, such foul language. Though, I do like being called sassy, thank you.

I almost want to punch myself in the head but I know for a fact it doesn't work, I've tried it at least a dozen times today.

God, this sucks. For you, that is.

I run briskly towards the direction I saw my friends go in, maybe Neville and Hermione waited behind for me? I notice how far ahead they are and sigh, and maybe not, and take a shortcut. Aha! There they are! I run just a bit faster and then I'm right behind them. Thanks to whatever higher power allowed me to run further than five paces without falling. Once I catch up to 'mione and Neville they're talking about something but immediately stop once I'm beside them. Strange.