Chapter 28: The First Goodnights

A.N.

Chapter song: You Don't See Me by Safetysuit

Once he got outside, backpack on his bag and a large black bag in his arms, I furrowed my eyebrows, about to ask what it was when he attached it to the bike. Oh, they're sidebags. I open it up and find Zorro staring up at me with bright eyes.

"Need to put the animals somewhere," he says, raising an eyebrow.

I nodded, getting Castiel from around my neck and putting him inside the bag. Feeling around inside, I notice there's air holes and I give Draco a look of approval.

"Good thinking, since it'll be a long drive."

He shakes his head, "My dad is picking us up, remember? He changed plans, instead of us driving to our beachside cabin nearby, which could take about a half hour, he'll pick us up in the town to make things faster." I sling my bag across my back as he shoves his tiny backpack under his seat. "I have enough clothes at the manor, so I just brought my wallet, passports, and such."

"Passports? We need a passport?" Then it hit me, their winter home is probably somewhere else. "I don't have one." He didn't even look fazed, held out my helmet and I put it on, getting on the bike behind him. He put his helmet on and sped off. Suddenly, I heard two voices in my ear.

"Kura?" I heard Draco ask.

"Yes, Master Draco?" replied a vaguely-female, robotic voice.

"Connect me with Milton."

"Yes, Master Draco." Her voice said, then I heard a dial tone.

"Draco, what's that? My AI system I have attached to my electronics, it's still in development, I'm calling my butler to arrange everything so don't worry-" I heard the line connect, and I closed my mouth, listening.

"Young Master Draco?"

"Milton, I need you to obtain a passport for Harry Potter. He attends my school if that helps the search."

"Yes, Young Master Draco, it will be available for pickup at your arrival at the private jet entrance gate. Good day to you, sir."

The line disconnected and I instinctively scooted closer to him, whispering into my helmet. "Do I have a ringing in my ear or did he just say private jet?"

"I guess it slipped my mind. Anyhow, we'll be in town soon, my dad is a little... opinionated but try not to let it get to you."

"Why do I suddenly feel I should be worried?"

He laughed, the sound reverberated in my helmet and I felt myself blush at the sound. God, I love the sound of him laughing. Once he pulls into a parking lot next to a nice pickup truck, he puts on the kickstand and we get off the bike. A man, who I recognize easily as Lucius Malfoy, gets out of the car with long, platinum blond hair pulled back in a low ponytail and a grim smile on his face. Draco takes off his helmet and puts it under his arm, taking off the sidebag and assissting the driver of the truck put the bike in the truckbed. Draco and I choose to sit in the truckbed while the two adults sit in the cab.

"Draco, introduce me to your friend." Lucius says pointedly to him through the open cab window.

I take off my helmet, embarrassed as Draco introduces me as his best friend. I manage to keep a neutral expression but I know at least a little redness managed to creep up onto my cheeks. "Good to meet you, Mr. Malfoy." I hold out my hand and he shakes it quickly, retracting his hand and closing the window. "That's reassuring." I mutter under my breath.

Draco scoots closer to me and says in my ear, trying to talk over the brisk wind, "He's always like that. Don't worry about it." As I nod, I feel him move closer to talk to me again, this time in a whisper. "I'm glad you could come along. It really sucks to be alone during the holidays."

"I thought your mother and father will be there?" I asked, and he seemed to bite his teeth together as his nose wrinkled in distaste, looking down at his feet.

"Not only them. A good portion of my family will be there as well as some of my dad's business friends." He paused, looking over across the horizon, "I've dealt with the celebration every year and it's unbearable. I'm surrounded by those people but I always feel so alone around them." Suddenly his eyes snap back to mine and he laughs, shaking his head in dismissal, "Nevermind, forget I said it."

"I've never had a holiday celebration with my family, if you can call them that, I've never even had a birthday party." My eyes burned but I refused to cry with him, his father, and who I suspected was Milton, right there. I took a hard swallow and cleared my throat, "Be glad you have a family you can spend time with."

...

We remained silent for the rest of the drive, I eventually saw us pull into a private air strip and a private jet sat there. Everything was loaded onto the jet and Mr. Malfoy made a quick comment about sleeping in the bedroom and to be quiet while he did so. Sure enough, he went into a door after liftoff and five minutes later I knew he wouldn't come back out. Malfoy took the sidebag and handed me Castiel while he sat beside me with Zorro.

"About what you said..."

"Forget it," I muttered, forcing a smile, "it's in the past. Things will be different now."

"I was just wondering, would you want to celebrate your birthday while we're at the Manor?"

I opened and closed my mouth, at a loss for words and he smiled, "It's settled, then. We'll celebrate it on New Years Day." I laughed hard, shocking the both of us. He looked at me with a grin, "You okay?"

I nodded, "Thanks, Draco."

The plane landed a while after and we put the animals back in the bags, unloading it all into the truck we'd packed into the private jet. Yeah, the jet is that big. We made the short drive to Malfoy Manor and Milton offered to take our things up to which I declined. Draco gave me a strange look then told him he'd carry his things up as well. We went up the tall staircase and once we reached his room, I slowly set my things down after he gave me a look of approval.

"You can pack your clothes away in the spare dresser and you can sleep on the spare bed."

I did as he said, putting my things away. "Why are there two queen-sized beds in here?"

"I used to have friends over and my father wasn't too keen on me having to share a bed 'when we can easily afford a separate one'." Looking out the window, he clicked his tongue in distaste. "It's late, I'll have Milton send us up something to eat. What would you like to do before we go to bed? We have a big day ahead of us tomorrow, so we can't stay up too late."

I didn't dare question it before closing the full drawer of my clothes and I sighed, "How about we watch a movie or something?"

Standing up, he opened a cabinet door filled ceiling to floor with different DVDs, "What's your poison?"

"Classic movie."

"Genre?"

"Dark Comedy."

"I've got just the one." he grins, picking one off the shelf and putting it in the dvd player before pressing a keypad on his wall and asking Milton to bring up some dinner to which he quickly obliges. Once we got our food and started the movie, I tilted my head in confusion.

"This is a true story? I thought it was dark comedy."

"You've never seen Fargo?" I was about to answer no but he shushed me, "Just watch, it's the greatest."

I do admit, it was a good movie. Once the movie was over and the dishes from the sandwiches were collected we changed, facing back to back again, and got in bed.

"Goodnight, Harry." he whispered in the darkness, and I could practically hear his smile.

"Goodnight, Draco." I whispered back, blushing and turning my back to him. I wish he didn't make me feel this way because who knows how long I can hide this feeling from him. I know he doesn't feel the same way, so I'll keep it to myself. As I faded into the realm of sleep, I could see Dudley and his friends from last year. I could feel them shove me into the brick wall, and punch me over and over again while Dudley stood and watched. Not caring enough or brave enough to try to stop them. I felt a scream rip from my throat.