Chapter 72: Griffindor Pride

A.N.

Chapter song: Normal Love by Atlanta Rhythm Section

I wanted to use a Foreign Tongues song but their lyrics are a tad hard to discern. So here we are. XD This is a great song, though.
-----------

As I headed back towards the rooms, the first thought that occurred to me was that I was being paranoid. It would be understandable for him to feel awkward about Cedric. When Draco had left town with his father, I did decide to sleep over at the house of someone easily considered a stranger. That being said, since Draco and I were in a kind of relationship at the time, it would seem a little inappropriate.

When I enter the common room, Ron is sitting alone by the fireplace grinning from ear to ear. I sit beside him and he seems excited to see that it's me. He pulls his knees up to his chin, setting his cheek on his knees to look at me.

"Hello, Harry,"

"Hey, Ron, why exactly are you smiling all by yourself?" I asked amusedly.

"I got asked to the Yule Ball," his cheeks reddened a little, "Lavender Brown, you know- apparently she fancies me."

"Why, welcome back to the land of Common Knowledge, Captain Obvious!" I laugh. "I knew from the first day I got here she had a thing for you. So, what happened?"

"Nothing spectacular or anything, but she asked if I had a date yet, and I said no. She got this real' bright smile, and said 'You have one now'. I asked what color she was wearing- you know, 'cause people usually match at those kind of things- and she said not to worry about it. And, get this, she gave me this sly look and said 'only people who should be allowed worry about matching is old married couples and yuppie families'. I couldn't believe she said that! Honestly, she seemed a little dull at first but she's totally great. We spent free period talking about who we thought was going to make the boy and girl teams of the Tri-Cup."

"Well, that's great." I tell him, bumping his shoulder with mine. "You know I did the counting of how big a table we need, we need to seat almost 20 people."

"Oh man," he exhales sharply, "I didn't even think about that. We should warn the someone on the committee about it so we don't ruin their setup. Oh! I think Ginny is on it this year."

"I hope we aren't the only really big group like that," I say aloud, "but we may be. I mean, with there being other schools, there may not be too much intermingling besides people and their dates."

"Good point, but I think a lot of them plan to go with their friends from school. Plus we won't know the layout until everyone arrives, night of. They're keeping all details close to the vest this year."

"Sounds exciting," I admit. "I never went to any school dances where I used to live, I never had any close friends so I just stayed home or went out somewhere instead."

"That sounds kind of lonely, Harry. I'm sorry you had to go through that, whatever your circumstances were."

"Thanks," I told him, patting his shoulder before standing and going to my room.

I tiptoed in, the other boys asleep in their beds. Sliding the shirt off my back, I added my shirt and eventually my pants to the pile in the corner. I glance at a cork-board on the far wall. My turn to do laundry in the communal utilities room this week. I make a mental note to do it tomorrow.

...

The days passed in what seemed to be the blink of an eye. Between short conversations with Draco, lunches with my friends (and now the occasional joining of Remus or Severus, or both), and practicing soccer at every free moment; it felt more akin to routine than preparation for the Tri-Cup.

The most memorable moment was when I practiced soccer with Draco, two days before the announcement ceremony at the Yule Ball, and it reminded me of the first time we had practiced together. Unlike before, we had become careful of each other and still were wary of getting too close. During that day at the tree, we had no fear in the contact sport of soccer, now we gave up the ball to the other in favor of getting too close. It was painful to realize how utterly normal it's boiling down to. We were like a normal ex-couple, not one tied to cults or murder. It could be the start of a new beginning between us, despite the long journey it is going to take to get back to square-one.

......

The day of the Yule Ball, I found myself waking to the sound of an uproar in the common room, and the beds of Neville, Seamus, and Dean empty. I glance at the calendar, it's a Saturday, changing into a pair of jeans and a tee shirt. I fill my pockets with my wallet, as sparse as it may be, and phone before meeting a bombardment of Griffindors cheering to themselves.

"What's all the racket for? I was sleeping," I laugh, putting a hand on Neville's shoulder.

"We got the leak ratios!" Neville shouted excitedly.

"The what?" I ask, face scrunching in confusion.

"Long story short, it's a sneak peak how many people from each house will be on each team for the Tri-Cup." Neville explained, "We've managed to get more of our house on the teams this year. Usually, Slytherins dominate the ratios by a landslide, but this year we're actually evenly-matched."

"Why have the numbers been so uneven?" I asked.

Dean was ready with an answer, moving towards my ear to speak over the noise of the others, "Hufflepuffs tend to be more more club-oriented, Ravenclaws more study-oriented, Slytherins more sport-oriented, and we Griffindors tend to be more versatile or non-committal with our interests. Everyone was sorted according to their personality tests attached to the application, the houses are supposedly to help keep violence to a minimum and help students surround themselves with like-minded people. Seems to have worked pretty well so far."

"Yeah," I say distantly, "Seems like it." My thoughts drift to tonight, "I'm guessing curfew and visitor restrictions are lifted for the night."

"You would be correct," Seamus interrupted, the room's loud volume lowering to a casual chatter. "Planning on spending the day with Cedric, then?"

"Yeah," I admit, "I'm thinking about it. May double up with Hermione and Viktor, though, it seems Viktor wants to meet Ced 'to see what kind of man I am going to the Ball with.'"

"Does Viktor know about-?" Neville whispered.

I nodded, "Hermione told him the basics, but it seems he's a tad protective of her and I."

Neville chuckled, "You have a knack for making everyone want to stand behind you."

"Yeah," I mutter, getting out my phone and texting Cedric.

<---- To: Ced     9:37 am

If you aren't too busy, want to spend the day together before the Ball?

...

----> From: Ced    9:39 am

I'm never too busy for you, Harry.