Chapter 26: You're Hiding Something

A.N.

Chapter song: Secret of My Heart (English Version) by Kuraki Mai

I couldn't find any male covers but I couldn't pass it by.

-----------------------------

The class seemed a hell of a lot longer than usual and after I stole a few looks at Draco, I realized I would've been better off sleeping until I went with Hermione to the shops. By which I still had no clue how we'd get there. I frowned, tapping my fingertips against the table until eventually I laid my head down, frowning at the world's inability to be interesting.

Now, now, Harry; the world is plenty interesting.

Could you leave me to my own thoughts, just this one time?

You're on the brink of epiphany and you can't even see it.

Epiphany, that's hilarious.

I'm being serious. There's something big coming and you don't even see it.

What do you mean?

You know, you're just in denial. How else would I know?

Good point, I guess.

I glace over at Draco and he gives me a strange look, "Did you know you talk in your sleep?"

A jolt of fear hit me and for a brief second I held my breath, "I do that sometimes... What did I say?"

"I don't know, your arms muffled it and you were kind of mumbled."

"Oh," I sighed in relief. I really should stop responding, since I can't help but respond out loud.

"Class is about to end."

I stand once the bell rings and as he puts away his things, he looks over at me.

"Wanna sit together in Lupin's?"

I feel myself wanting to say yes but shake my head, "I sit by Neville during that period."

If he's disappointed, he doesn't show it. He just nods in understanding and walks ahead of me as I fall into step with Neville.

"What's that about?"

"Nothing, just asked about something Ms. T said."

He seems convinced and shrugs, "Well you are one of the brighter bulbs in that class."

"Just because I remember stuff, doesn't make me smarter."

"It actually does," he noted as we took our seats in the back of Lupin's class. "Your brain, to remember those things, means you use your brain at a higher capacity than others. You have the ability to remember because your brain has more activity that is 'encoded' and 'decoded' into the forefront of your mind."

I feel a smile, "Where'd you learn that?"

"I want to be a neurological major in college."

"Neurological surgeon? Psychiatrist? Psychophysicist? Psychobiologist? What do you want to be?" I asked, suddenly excited.

He seemed a little flustered, before giving a small grin, "I don't really know yet, I'll figure it out."

We sit in the center table in the back and Remus smiles as he strides over and leans against our table. I screw my eyes up to look at him and his smile is actually one of concern.

"Harry, I'd like to speak with you in private, if that's alright."

"Lead the way, Professor." It comes out way more sarcastic than I meant to but he stands by the door with me.

"I'd like to know why you're spending the holidays with Draco."

"Well, aren't you forward?"

"I'd just like to know."

"He's going to help me with soccer. I want to make the cut for the Tri-Way."

"You're not even on the team."

"But I could be a wild card entry, come on Remus. I really wanna do this."

"Would you mind if I told Severus? He's been worried that you don't want to spend time with him."

"I do! but have to do this first, okay? Since when were you and Severus on good terms?"

Remus laughed, "Since he found out you were coming to the academy."

I nodded and he left me at my seat, heading to the front of the class to teach.

"What's with you and Professor Lupin? And Professor Snape, for that matter, they keep giving you this look-"

"Neville, please lower your voice." Remus called out idly, resuming his aloud reading from a textbook.

"What look?" I ask, only half paying attention.

"The look you give Hermione when she isn't looking."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"A look of protectiveness."

I feel myself choke out a nervous laugh, "What?"

"You're hiding something from me. There's something you aren't telling me, isn't there?"

"I'll explain later. I'll send you a letter during the holidays."

"It'll take forever to arrive by snailmail."

"Nev, just... I can't discuss right now. Once you read, relay it all to 'Mione, okay?"

"Okay, Harry, if you say so."

The rest of the period we're silent, doing our work individually. I catch sight of Draco in the front and I frown, I suddenly am regretting the idea of going over to Malfoy's house. Neville and I get into the next class and he directs me to a seat at the very front and as soon as we sit down, a man stumbles in the class with a cheeky grin and his height made me lose my breath for a moment.

"First as always, Neville. Oh, you must be Mr. Potter, I heard about Severus being your new dad and I've got to say-"

I guess he could see the fearful shock on my face because he suddenly backtracked and muttered to himself, heading to his desk, "I shouldn't have said that. I should not have said that."

"Harry..."

"He adopted me, I had the choice between him, Lupin, and Black and I thought he was the best choice-" I rambled, trying to find the words.

"Harry!" he said again.

"What?" I snapped out of it, looking at him.

"You could've just told me," he smiled a little, "but I know you just didn't want to worry me and Hermione. You can tell her when you two go shopping today."

"Wha-?"

"Luna told me."

"Oh."

"It's fine, Hagrid didn't mean it. He's a bit of a jabber jaw."

I nodded and class went on, only about fifteen people in the class occupied the seats and we all listened intently as Hagrid talked cheerfully about the importance of bees to the ecosystem. I found my eyes glued to the clock, counting down when Hermione and I would go out shopping.