Chapter 47: Waiting for Answers

A.N.

Chapter Song: Portraits (instrumental Acoustic Cover) by The Final Cut (a Bury Tomorrow cover)

By the time I return, Dobby has already gotten most of the Christmas decorations taken down from the tree in the lounge. I watch him in dismay as I sit on the couch, shouldn't I be helping? As though he felt me watching, he stopped, tinsel still in-hand as he shook his head.

"Go on, Harry, read. Don't worry about this."

I found myself wanting to argue but he shook his head slowly, as if trying to ward me from the thought.

"I tend to read aloud when I read, I can't really help it. Would you mind if..?" I asked, hoping he would agree.

"I don't mind, I would quite enjoy it, actually. Read from where you are, I'll figure out where you are as we go."

I smile, "Oh, okay." Opening the book, I mutter, "I found it. 'You can blast my other passions, but revenge remains- revenge, henceforth dearer than light of food! I may die, but first you, my tyrant and tormentor, shall curse the sun that gazes on your misery.'"

My voice felt as though it was droning on, though I took on voices for each character, the parallels between Frankenstein and his creation seemed to overlap and made it difficult to tell one from the other the further I went. I felt my mind wander as I read, my thoughts straying to Draco and his father, I hope that Draco didn't anger his father too much. There is no doubt his father dislikes me- he made that perfectly clear- and he may be very sore over the fact that his son embarrassed him in front of me.

I felt my eyes drag across the page dryly, my passion for the story lost on the thoughts plaguing my mind. I looked up to meet Dobby's concerned face as he leans against the broom in his hands. I guess my train of thought caused me to dwindle off, no longer reading aloud.

"You seem worried, Harry."

I wanted to make a sarcastic comment, obviously something was worrying me, but I swallowed it down in favor of sparing the man's feelings. I didn't respond, just leaned back and went back to reading at the last spot I remembered.

That was the end of that, no more harping over Draco. He may not even be worth the thoughts when he returns.

I tried telling myself that as I read, but they never really sunk in.

I really hope he does want to try... this relationship... "thing" when he gets back. I hope his 'I love you' was more than just words.

"I'll be alright, Dobby. I'm just a little lonely is all," I admit, closing the book and rubbing my palm twice across my mouth out of habit, a habit I picked up whenever I said something I wish I hadn't.

"If you'd like, you may go visit someone if you know anyone nearby. You could stay with them for a night or two, if you really wanted. I wouldn't mind, and the Missus would understand."

"Who would I visit? I don't know anyone-"

"What about the Diggory boy, you got along with him well enough?"

"He lives nearby?"

"Why, yes, about a 15 minute drive away."

"Then, I'd like to ask him if I could stay over, if that's alright."

"Perfectly fine, I'll take care of your ferret while you're gone."

"May I use the phone, then?"

"Sure. I'll bring one to you. Keep reading, you only have a little ways to go."

I nod, going back to reading, having one chapter left when he hands me a cordless phone and I dial Cedric's number by memory. The phone rings for several seconds before there's an out of breath answer from the other line.