Chapter 3: Piercing, Silver Eyes

Chapter Song: Silver Eyes by Ashram

----------------------------------------------------------------

We talk pleasantly for a while, but once I finish my plate, I notice he has long since finished his.

"Well," he smiled at me "How about we get dressed and go to the courtyard? To get acquainted."

I stand with him, carrying my plate as he carries his, walking over to the dish 'drop off'. I mull over the idea, hanging out with someone like this is new to me. Most people knew of my cousin the pig-headed bully and decided it would be best to leave me be. To avoid me completely.

It hurt at first but then I eventually just found solace in books and Cas, healing the wounds bit by bit. Maybe this "Draco" could help me make some friends, he seems too nice to be one of those rich snobs. I catch him staring at me and I start slightly, I'd been so lost in thought, I forgot to answer him.

We're in front of the four-way fork that leads to each dormitory section: the Snakes, the Eagles, the Badgers, and the Lions. Each animal hall then split into two in to their gender-assigned dorms: Silver, Blue, Black, and Gold, - the respective female sectors- along with Green, Bronze, Yellow, and Crimson- the male sectors. Each sector is guarded by a solitary groundskeeper who patrols each dorm area. I'd seen him on the way to my room and had to show him my information, explaining my situation before he even considered letting me go about my way.

Draco smiles, patient, "Well, seeing as you're lost in your thoughts, I will take the answer to be a no. However, if you change your mind, I'll be in the courtyard until around noon when everyone wakes up. Goodbye, Harry."

He takes the far left hall, a green and silver snake plaque over the arched doorway.

"Goodbye, Draco!" I say after him and he smiles over his shoulder, waving once before continuing on and not looking back at me.

I take the hall to the far right and bump into a smaller girl who drops her books, embarrassed, and I pick them up for her and put them in her arms.

She smiles, her wavy hair softening her features, "You're new here, Harry Potter, right?"

It sounded more like a statement than a question.

I nod, smiling politely in return, "Yes, I am."

She grins happily, "Sorry, I don't mean to be creepy. I work in the office, I'm an aide. I noticed you were a fellow scholarship student, so I just wanted to give you a warm welcome."

I laugh, "Then you were waiting up for me?"

She laughs, "Don't flatter yourself, I was going to welcome you when I saw you, I just happened to meet you opportunely."

She checks her watch, "Oh no, I have to be at the office, I'm Hermione Granger, by the way. See you at dinner, I'll save you a seat!" then she ran off towards the main office.

Yes, she's a nice girl.

Sure, she seems sophisticated and she's definitely beautiful.

However, as I walk into my room to unpack my things, it's not her I think of.

I think of the first hand extending a gesture of friendship out towards the new, dorky kid.

I think of Draco Malfoy and those piercing silver eyes.

...

I pack my things away but cast lingering looks out the window.

What harm would it do? He seems nice.

There's nothing to stop me. So why should I stop myself?

I hear small stirrings from my roommates and dress quickly. Draco had already been dressed when I met him earlier, a grey v-neck and black skinny jeans.

I sigh to myself, I'm acting like such a girl, paying too much attention.

I shake my head in dismissal and pull on a pair of jeans, changing my tee shirt to a Evans Blue: The Melody and the Energetic Nature of Volume album tee. It's my favorite shirt, I observe to myself as I put on socks and my converse.

As I head to the courtyard, I wonder if this is some kind of setup. No one had ever been this nice to me, that is, except my parents. I reach the courtyard and there he is, sitting against a tree on a thick branch as he reads a book. I jump to grab the branch but realize I'm too short. He laughs, holding an arm down to me, his book set in a crevice of the tree.

I sigh, "I can't help it that I'm short." I grab his arm as he grabs my arms, pulling me up. I half-collapse, half-sit onto the branch and straddle it, facing him. He has one knee up with an arm dangling off of it while his other leg is stretched out, his fingers drumming on his knee.

"So," he starts, looking at me. "What house?"

I think, then realize he means the dormitories, "Lion."

Something flickers briefly in his eyes, "Gryffindor..." he mutters.

I repeat the word slowly, confused, "What does that mean?"

He looks at me calmly, "Well, the school was founded by four hippies. They each had a "spirit animal", this guy named S. Slytherin's was the snake- his favorite colors green and silver, R. Ravenclaw the same way, along with H. Hufflepuff, and G. Gryffinor."

I look at him, "What's with the names?"

He seems amused at the question, "They were also Wiccans, that was their 'wizard/witch' names."

I nod slowly, "Ah..."

He laughs at my reaction and I puff in response, "What are you laughing at?"

"Oh, nothing. You're just so.. funny." he laughs.

I start to hear tiny footsteps, I guess people are starting to wake up.

I look at his book, still stuck in the hole in the tree, "What's that?"

He brings the thick book from the hole, "Oh, this? It's The Phantom of the Opera."

I look at him funny, "Why that book?"

He looks at it curiously, "My father says I need to be well-rounded. To learn about the arts and such before taking his place at the firm."

"Oh? Like a law firm?"

He nods, "Yes, in fact, you may know it as the Desitas Law Firm."

It's one of the biggest law firms in the country, and that means his father is Lucius Malfoy.

Oh, god.

This is one of the richest kids at this school. Just my luck.

He looks at my crestfallen expression and frowns.

I hear talking from under the tree, "Draco?! Come down will ya, we need to go to soccer practice!"

They don't see me, I think in relief.

"I'll talk to you some other time, Harry."

He holds the book and jumps onto the ground and I stare irritably after him. He won't be talking to me again, I know it.