Chapter 34: I Can Imagine

A.N.

Chapter Song: Trophy by CROSSES (†††)

Happy Christmas in October!

We found ourselves humming along to dreadful Christmas songs I'd always heard the Dursleys play while I was stuck in the attic (and later the cupboard). However, they felt different somehow. I hung a wreath over the fireplace, trying to make sure it was straight when I felt like a box of spider webs was dumped onto my head. I was about to let out a string of curses when I saw strands of shining green tinsel fall in front of my eyes. I grasped what was on my head and in my fingers and felt my tongue swipe across the inside of my lower lip in challenge. Oh, he's done it now.

Draco smiled a shit-eating grin across the room, stepping backwards quickly, "What? I didn't do that."

"Like hell, you didn't!" I laughed, throwing the tinsel at him and making a piece catch in his mouth.

He spit it out with distaste and that competitive smile returned, "Now it's war!"

Running around and grabbing tinsel, we threw it at each other until eventually he slipped and fell, causing us both to laugh loudly as we lost our breath. Soon, though, Draco's father strode in wearing a three-piece suit and disgusted expression. "Present yourself with dignity. Jesus, Draco, grow up."

I felt my heart sink as Draco's expression hardened and he bowed his head in shame. "Yes, father."

"While you're at it, clean all of this up and put it on the tree where it belongs." Lucius threw me a look of discomfort, not knowing if I'd caused the mess or not, and then returned his eyes to Draco. "The party starts in a little over an hour, since you've been goofing off in here all afternoon. The party will only be a few hours long, until 11, so be sure to make good use of that time. Draco, make sure that you and your friend are downstairs, dressed and ready ten minutes before the party starts. Draco, make sure you greet everyone at the door this time."

"Yes, father." Draco said reluctantly, looking at me from the corner of his eye. I tried to send off vibes to reassure him but I could not do much with my eyes glued to Lucius' face.

"Mr. Potter," he said cordially.

"Harry is fine."

"Mr. Potter," he continued, "You may roam the party freely, seeing as you are a guest in my home. However, be well aware that these guests are people whom I work with and you need to be on your best behavior. You will not tell them anything about yourself and you will not ask, am I making myself quite clear to you?"

"Crystal." I responded automatically, feeling Tom pulling at the strings in my mind, begging me to say something out of line. Something to wipe the look of shame and embarrassment off of Draco's face.

He gave a wry smile, obviously surprised at my obedience. "Good, I'm glad Draco is making a friend who knows his place." With that, he adjusted his bow tie and walked away, adjusting the band tying back his long hair. "Dinner is in a half hour, be there on time because as soon as we finish the doorbell will be ringing." There was silence hanging between Draco and I until the sound of his father's shoes eventually faded away.

"I'm sorry about that, Harry. I told you, he-"

"It's fine," I told him, my hand patting his shoulder before getting onto my haunches to scoop the tinsel into my hands. "I'm used to being talked down to, remember?"

He opened his mouth to say something and then snapped it shut, his nostrils flaring as he turned his back to me and picked up tinsel. He's obviously angry with me for some reason. I'll just wait it out, I guess.

Once we collect the tinsel and place it haphazardly all over the immaculately-decorated tree, no doubt Milton's doing, we head up to Draco's bedroom and collect our suits from their boxes that had apparently been delivered while Draco and I had been decorating the hardwood floor with green tinsel. I cast a glance in Draco's general direction as I peeled my shirt off. He pursed his lips, rolling his shoulders; he swung his neck in a circle and winced painfully, no doubt from the constant reaching he'd had to do when decorating.

"Take off your shirt." I told him, surprising myself. He cocked his eyebrow but pulled it off and faced me. "What're you facing me for?" I laughed, twirling my finger as a signal for him to turn around. He slowly turned around and I felt my cheeks heat up a little. "Sit on the bed. I can't give you a massage standing up."

"I didn't ask for-" he turned to me, and I felt heat curl in my gut at the sight of his flustered expression.

"It's the least I can do. Go on." I told him, gently pressing his shoulders down and sitting him on the edge of the bed. I climbed behind him and slowly placed my hands back on his trap muscles, feeling the warmth of his skin. So smooth. I felt him tense and I dug my thumbs into the back of the muscle, rubbing hard circles into it. He let out a pained yelp and I felt a flicker, a spark, in the pit of my stomach. "It'll hurt before it'll feel better."

"I know. Dig deeper if you can."

"I'll try," I told him, "but the muscles are really tense."

He nodded and I continued massaging his shoulders, letting my hands slide across his skin occasionally, but not long enough to be suspicious. I moved my hands to massage between his shoulder blades with my fingertips and he let out a surprised, breathy moan that sent shivers down my spine. Jesus, please don't do that again. Don't think I can handle another one of those.

"Sorry, it just hurts."

"I know." I told him, taking a glance at the clock. "Sorry, but we don't have much longer to get ready."

He opened his eyes and looked to the clock, nodding in agreement, "You're right. Thanks for that, I really needed it."

"No problem." I told him, taking off my pants and pulling on my tuxedo pants.

He stood slowly, not looking at me. "Let me know if you need help with anything."

"Sure."

"Harry?"

"Yeah?"

"Talk to the guests, they don't bite."

I laughed, shaking my head and finishing getting dressed. Trying, in vain, to fix what I could of my permanent bedhead as I looked in the mirror. Draco looked perfect as he stepped behind me to fluff his hair in the mirror.

In my head, I could imagine leaning back against him. I could imagine him putting his arms around me as I reach around his neck, pressing a playful kiss to the vein visible in his neck. But I didn't do any of those things.

I adjusted my tie, gave him a polite smile, and we made our way to the dining table to have a meal before the party started.