Chapter 70: As Time Passes

Chapter song:

Cello Suite No. 1 -Prelude- Bach

The obligatory passage-of-time to get to the next major plot point. Bear with me, because you still need to read this chapter. On a side note, I thought this song fit well with this chap.

Also, I know somewhere along the way I stopped keeping track of the day but I think at this point in the story, its unnecessary. Ha
------------------------------

So, I'm kind-of friends with Draco again. When we see each other in the hall, we smile or wave, and I alternate between sitting with him outside to eat our meals or eating with my group of friends at lunch. The need to see Draco feels less like a desperate need now, it feels more like an improvement to my day. I like this new way we are doing this, it's comfortable.

It's been a couple of days since classes started back up, but sulking so much over Draco for that short while made the time seem to pass even slower. So when Hermione made a comment at dinner about getting a corsage for the Yule Ball, I was floored. I had completely forgotten. At the time, in the grand scheme of things, it seemed inconsequential but now it had come to the forefront of my attention. That metaphor about something rearing its ugly head immediately came to mind.

"You uh-kay Harry?" Oliver asked me, chewing with one side of his mouth and talking with the other. "Look like ya seen a ghost."

"You forgot the dance, didn't you?" Dean grinned in good humor, "Do you even have a suit?"

I remember Christmas and the tuxedo box in my bag, still unpacked. I feel my lips press shut as I nod my head.

"Yeah, uh, I got a suit as a gift from a shop in town." I say in a weak voice, clearing my throat I go back to eating.

"Did, uh," Hermione paused for a second, "your dad get you that suit you liked at the shop?"

"Not him, but yeah, that's the suit I have." I drifted off, trying to take on a cheerier voice. "Would you go with me to get shoes?"

"Of course, Harry. I wouldn't miss it." She smiled, "Can't wait to see how handsome you look in your suit."

"If we go now, we can make it back before curfew." I offer, and she nods excitedly, picking up her tray and purse.

"Race you to the woods." She grinned.

Fred piped up sarcastically, "You can use our car,"

"Since you didn't bother to ask." George finished, tossing me the keys.

I tossed my tray into the bin and caught the keys with both hands.

"Well this will make the trip go faster." I admitted, tapping Hermione on the shoulder. "On three-"

"Three!" Hermione yelled, racing out of the lunch room.

I ran after her, an assortment of confused looks, 'what-the-hell' looks, and amused looks following after us.

"You cheated!" I laughed, pushing myself to match her pace.

"Why, I never!" She laughed, trying to sound indignant but failing miserably.

She beat me to the car by an impressive stretch. She decided to drive there and back. As we began driving, we settled into silence. After a while, she glanced over at me and I prepared myself for what I knew she was about to ask.

"How are you doing?" She tried sounding casual, but her inner worry-wart wouldn't leave her be.

"Better. He and I are talking again, which is good. Things haven't changed much, we still talk about the same things and act pretty much the same. The only difference is that I have to hold back now.