Chapter 21: A Big Decision

Chapter Song: Walls by Me vs Gravity

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I said a quick goodbye, going to class a little early. I feel that familiar scratching and I felt his voice whisper to me. I tried blocking out the noise but he eventually got loud enough that I could hear.

So, you and Draco, huh?

Nah, no way. We're friends.

I wish I had a friend who looked at me like that.

Wow, way to make our relationship awkward, Riddle.

Speaking of relationships, you are aware you woke up spooning the guy?

Wow. We were, weren't we. Huh.

Keep your thoughts pg-13, there's kids here.

All of them are my age, most of them with more "experience" than me.

Now who's fault is that?

That's it. Go in the dark corner of my mind and stay there.

Go visit Snape while you're out. Tell him where you're going.

Now why would I do that?

He's the closest thing you have to family right now.

Okay. I'll go. Now go away.

...

The itch slowly faded as I knocked on the door of Snape's quarters. My knock was uncharacteristically soft, surprising me when Snape opened the door just after a few seconds. Lupin was standing inside, leaning against a wall, looking with admiration at my mother's photo. I felt my knees buckle and my fists clenched, turning my knuckles white.

"Oh, hello Harry. Glad to see you're out of the... infirmary." Lupin said with a tight voice, glancing up at him suspiciously.

"Mr. Potter, please come in." Severus said with caution, "We three need to have a talk."

"It's about where you live outside of school." Lupin said bluntly, setting down the photo. "Lily and James had... conflicting views on who you would live with after the Dursleys sent you here."

"Sent me? Meaning I always had the option?"

"Well, actually-"

Suddenly, a phone rang, Lupin took out the phone from his pocket and listened to the voice on the other line silently and hung up, putting the phone back.

"It's the headmaster. He wants to speak to the four of us."

"Four?" I asked, hoping for explanation, one I never got.

"You'll see, Harry. Just keep your head." Severus whispered as they all walked to the office of a Dr. A. P. W. B. Dumbledore.

Lupin opened the door and I saw a man with shaggy hair, tattoos, and a weak grin. I recognized him immediately and raised my fist, about to punch him. Lupin caught my hand, tsking at me.

"So you know?"

"Of course I know!" I screamed, an older man rising from behind his desk.

He had bright eyes that did not match his upset expression. He walked over to me, put a hand on my shoulder, and directed us all to a row of seats in front of his desk. We all sat, I sat on the end by Snape, then Lupin, then the other man who scratched the tip of his moustache awkwardly.

"First off," the older man, Dumbledore's, voice was coaxing and calming. "Harry, how did you find out?"

"The memory was repressed but Neville showed me the files. Hermione knows too but for an entirely different reason."

"Ah, I had a feeling this would happen eventually." Dumbledore sighed, "How is your memory?"

"Crystal clear. I have a photographic memory."

"Then you remember these three gentlemen?"

"I know Severus, I mean Professor Snape; I only know these other two helped kill my parents."

"Harry..." the man on the edge said painfully, looking like a kicked dog. I recalled his name to be Sirius Black.

"They did not kill Lily or James, Harry. I know these boys. I knew your parents. I knew Tom Riddle, he is the only one to blame for your parents' deaths."

"Then they weren't his followers?" I asked, completely ignoring the three as they watched me closely.

"No, Harry. They were falsely accused."

"Can we please get back to the point, Albus?" Sirius asked flatly.

"Harry. Your parents had a kind of disagreement over who would take over you once you cut ties with the Dursleys to go here."

"Meaning?"

"You have to pick one of these three to be your legal guardian until-"

"Severus. I pick Severus." I interrupt him, an edge to my voice.

"Are you sure? Make sure you think this through..." Dumbledore warned and I shook my head.

"I trust Severus. He saved my life."

"Then so be it, I'll send for the paperwork." the old man stood again, smoothing out his suit and his thinned, grey hair.

I looked over at Severus who looked both surprised and touched, then at the two men who seemed hurt. I looked back to Snape and he nodded with a comment about letting us have some time alone before leaving the room after the Headmaster.

...

"You look just like him, you know. Except for Lily's eyes, you have her eyes." Sirius said with a wobbly smile.

"But your compassion is like your mother's and your goddamn determination from your father." he chuckled softly.

"Why am I at this school."

"Albus loved your parents like they were his own children, when he found out what happened... he knew you would be greater than Lily and James so he made sure you got in." Lupin sunk into his chair, seeming very tired and weary.

"I was... am... your godfather. As is Moony, however, I hate to say that Severus would be the best for you. I with my drinking issues and Remus with his anger issues, we wouldn't be a good influence on you, Harry. But you will come visit me sometime, won't you, Harry?"

I nodded, "I will."

I heard the door open, Dumbledore and Severus walking in. I feel the blood pounding in my head and I feel that infernal itching again. It halfway drives me insane!

Tell them, Harry, someone needs to know about me. Harry, are you listening? GODDAMMIT HARRY TELL THEM!

"GET OUT OF MY HEAD!" I scream, my nails digging into my temples.

I feel them swarm around me and I feel faint. Snape looks at me in horror, muttering "oh not again" over and over under his breath. They try to get answers from him but the pain stops and I fall limply to the floor.

"Explain what the hell is going on, Harry!" Remus yells, agitated.

"Tom... Riddle... won't stop... talking." then, everything goes black.