Draco POV 2 (chap 66-69)

A.N.

Chapter song:

I'm Not Giving Up by Gloria Estefan 

Starts at end of chapter 66, ends at closure of chapter 69

-----------------------------------------

You could say I did a pretty good job of keeping all of my feelings at bay, that is until I heard his voice screaming bitterly at me.

  "Good luck out there, Draco! You need all the practice you can get!"  

He spoke my name in the same venom that his friends did, the friends that I tormented through my school days because my father once had me indoctrinated to the beliefs that families with money and political sway were kings in a world of rats. It hurt, the comment was hard to shake off. The entire practice, all I heard in my head was his voice repeating those words over and over again. It was even worse than our fight, because at least I was nasty back. I defended myself, but I didn't now. 

No doubt his friends knew about what happened. If that was the case, then they hated me with even more conviction than before, and that was a tidal wave to begin with. My distance from him seems even further as we Slytherin slowly pour from the locker rooms to return to our rooms.

"They're going to get in trouble with Filch," a girl sneered next to me, "Filch with have their hides strung up as wallpaper."

"Now I know why you're called Molly Morbid," I grunt under my breath, to which she huffs, walking ahead. 

I stop for a moment, watching Harry and his friends practicing together. Smiling, laughing, in-sync with each other in a way I thought Harry and I once were. I catch his expression once or twice before feeling unwelcome, I walk back to the path leading to the school and I'm stopped by a girl with light hair and a strange expression on her face.

"You miss Harry, don't you?" she asked, a knowing look in her eyes.

"So you know, then?" I ask, to which she nods.

"Yes," she smiles just slightly, her hands entwining in front of her. "I know enough. If my suspicions are correct, I think that you two could still make it. As it seems to me, Harry is the one that needs to work through things before you two may move forward. However, I do not know you well enough to say. I only know what I've heard, but you know what they say."

"I don't," I admit, not seeing the point as to why she's even talking to me. 

"There are three truths: Your truth, my truth, and The Truth," she emphasized, the latter being used in air quotes. "So if you ever want to talk about anything, feel free to let me know. Like Harry, I have my own battle-scars to deal with, but I've learned anything is that is takes more than one to heal. I haven't heard the full extent of what happened yet, but if you ever want to talk about what happened with Harry or just your battle-scars, feel free to find me. I would be glad to be a friend to you, Draco. It seems like you may be in need of one."

She was so candid about it, but the way she spoke, her expression was so clearly with good intention that I was left speechless. I nodded for a few seconds before finding the words I wanted to say.

"Thank you, uh-"

"Luna Lovegood."

"Yeah," I say more to myself than to her.

"You must be aware, though," she noted, making purposeful eye contact with me. "I will not tell Harry what we discuss, but I will let Neville in on a few things. He doesn't understand your previous cruelty, Draco, but if he understands then he may come to forgive you."