Chapter 25: Making Proper Arrangements

A.N.

Chapter song: Blurry by Puddle of Mudd

--------------

~Wednesday- Day 9~

Waking up, I could feel Castiel nudge me with his nose, licking my cheek. I open my eyes and see Neville still sleeping, the other two boys up and getting ready, shoving each other playfully as they whisper jokes to each other. I get out of bed and their eyes immediately turn to me, the shorter of the two gives me a nervous grin.

"Good morning. This is the first time you've woken up so early, Harry."

"How do you-?"

"Neville told us." the taller one grins, "I'm Dean Thomas, this dwarf is Seamus Finnigan."

He shoves Dean in the shoulder again, them quietly cursing at each other. They're complete opposites, Seamus with light blue eyes and pale skin and Dean with brown skin and equally brown eyes. Dean smiled broadly, waking up Neville with a hard kick to the foot.

"Wake up, let's all head to class."

"All?" he asked groggily, turning onto his back, "Oh, Harry, you're awake."

"Castiel's fault."

"Can I see?" Seamus mused excitedly.

I picked Castiel up and put him in his arms, and he petted him, "His fur is more wiry than I thought."

"That's what I said when I got him."

Dean laughed and took him from Seamus, putting him in the cage and locking it. Once we'd all gotten dressed, we headed to the dining hall. It was early, I realized that, but I didn't realize there would be no one there yet. I made a comment about it and Seamus rolled his eyes.

"No, one person has already been here."

Seamus fumes and Dean scoffs at his petulance, "Draco Malfoy. He's always first up and gets the best food."

"Why does everyone hate him so much?"

I immediately feel like I could've said that smoother, because Neville bites his lip, muttering "He's bullied us since grade school."

I shook my head in disbelief, getting behind them in the line for food, "Draco?"

"Yes, Malfoy, did I fucking stutter?" Seamus snaps, glaring back at me.

I raise my hands in surrender, "He just doesn't seem... that bad, is all."

Neville furrows his eyebrows, staring at his food as we walk to the table closest to the trash cans. There's a silence as we eat our waffles; mine with strawberries and whipped cream, Seamus's plain with butter, Neville's covered in chocolate chips and syrup, Dean with just a small bowl of plain yogurt. We all drink our water in silence until Neville pipes up, looking up from his phone.

"Hermione and Luna are on their way. They'll be in here in a few-"

"Good morning, Harry." Hermione sing-songed, hugging Harry from the back.

"Oh, hello, 'Mione."

"Hello, Harry." Luna said wistfully, sitting beside Neville.

I turned to Hermione and she looked at my plate then looked at me from under her eyelashes, "Mind taking that food to go?"

She sounded excited, so I nodded, "I was finished anyway, let's get you something and we can go ahead to class."

The room started to fill with students in their uniforms and she nodded, grabbing a few granola bars from a bin inside the lunch line. We strolled silent towards the classroom, her chewing on the yogurt bars until she stopped and sat on a bench. Sitting beside her, she swallowed before beginning to talk.

"About the visit to the shops today, I was wondering if you wanted to get something too?"

I nodded, "I'll take a look." As an afterthought, I smiled a little because I know Severus wouldn't mind going with me and buying a suit for the dance since he is undoubtedly chaperoning.

"Good, we'll be able to see what looks flattering on both of us."

"Anything you wear is flattering, Hermione." I smile and she blushes, giggling.

"Oh shut up, Harry!" she quips, finishing her yogurt and throwing it away in a nearby trashcan she pulled a pocketwatch from a fold in her skirt, "We should go inside, class will start in ten minutes."

I walk in with her, "Is that a pocketwatch? Wow, that's very old-fashioned."

"Well," she laughed incredulously "I just happen to like being old-fashioned."

"That won't get you many dates," I joked, making her smack me playfully on the arm.

"Hush up, you, class is starting."

I mock her silently, mouthing her words and she grins, rolling her eyes. Watching Severus slink in through the side door, I was about to walk up to him and tell him about the shopping today but stopped when I heard Draco and his friends sit near me. I slump my shoulders and hope that Draco will ignore me in front of everyone. He does, luckily, but my inner debate about why I refuse to talk to him in public raging on in my head.

"Harry, would you mind reading the passage about coordination complexes?" Severus asked, glancing up from behind his textbook.

I nod, reading the passage absently, not really focused on what I was saying. After a while, Severus thanks me and I sit back down, returning to the spiral I'd been doodling. Now, though, it looked more like a sporadically scribbled black dot than a spiral. It looked like an abyss or a vortex that now resembled the remaints of the mind filled with Tom Riddle, my parents' deaths, and Draco Malfoy.

...

Heading to Latin, I sat where I'd sat with Draco before since every other seat was taken. He calmly took the seat beside me, pulling out his workbook from his bag. I couldn't tell if he wanted to talk to me so I listened to the teacher's skittish ramblings about how there are so many jokes that are much funnier in Latin.

"Harry, how much have you packed?"

"I don't have much to pack so I plan to wait until last minute."

"How irresponsible." Draco chided, smiling a little to show humor.

"You can come to the room during dinner if you want, all my roommates eat then."

He nodded, "Alright, well we leave tomorrow at 7am so meet me at my motorcycle at 6:30 so we can meet my dad inside the nearby town. Don't be late."

I nod and he smiles, doodling, I raise my head and watch the teacher instruct us on special word usage.