Chapter 48: I'm Moving On

A.N.

Chapter songs: "物の怪姫 (Princess Mononoke)" by 遠藤 正明 (Endō Masaaki)

(Sorry, the English version just doesn't do it justice.)

We manage to catch every stoplight on the way to his house. After the first four red lights, he started grumbling to himself about the impertinence of modern technology, making me laugh.

"You're laughing," he says plainly, if not slightly pouty.

"Because you make me laugh," I tell him, smiling.

"I'm not trying to be funny, I assure you."

He tries to watch me from the corner of his eye, but gives up after a few seconds.

"That's probably why I find you funny. You don't try to be."

"You laugh because my ability to catch every red light is pathetic." he muttered, taking a road seemingly hidden by foliage.

I am about to tell him that I didn't think that, but he was just being honest. I turn the dial up on the volume of his radio and give him a weak smile.

"Mind if I change the station?"

He nods, no doubt slightly disappointed I didn't enjoy the station as much as he did, "Go ahead."

I flip through the channels twice before I find something and I stop once I hear the beginning of a song I could faintly recognize. I glance at the station on the radio, World Cinema Tracks, and hum in approval. Satellite radio, nice. I hum along and he mumbles words under his breath.

"Huh?" I ask, looking over at him.

"Was singing the song," he says with a smile, "though, I only know the english version of the song. It was from Princess Mononoke, haven't you seen it?"

"Nope."

"Have you seen any Studio Ghibli films?"

"Never heard of it."

"Oh," he said with a grin, pulling up to an average-sized house in a mixed-matched architectural neighborhood. "Well, looks like we found something we can do. We're here." I got out after he did, rounding the cab to get my bag but he slung it over his shoulder. "No worries, I got it."

I nodded, following him inside as he was met with a hug from his father, "Cedric! You're finally back, you seem to be in one piece this time. Good for you."

"Dad, I'm not that bad," he says with a smile and a look of surprise crosses his face as he turns to me. "Oh, right. Sorry, Harry. Dad, this is my friend I met at the party, the one I told you about."

"Harry Potter," he greeted with a respectful smile, shaking my right hand in both of his. "Great to finally meet you, I don't mean to be a buzzkill but I've just been called in suddenly to file some paperwork. Think you two can hold down the fort while I'm gone?"

"I don't know Dad, we may hold a frat party while you're gone. Endless booze and naked cheerleaders."

"You don't like booze and you aren't part of a fraternity." he says with a sly grin, picking up a briefcase by the door.

"Then you have nothing to worry about," Cedric laughed, leaning against the doorjamb to the kitchen. "Go, dinner will be ready before you get back."

Mr. Diggory smiles, ruffling his son's hair before going outside and taking the truck onto the street, driving away. I turn around to see he's already walking towards a room in the far corner. I rush to catch up, going in to see one wall lined entirely with soccer trophies and posters of various musicians from the 60s and 70s, his bed covered in a tie-dye duvet.