Chapter 16: An Ulterior Motive

Chapter Song: Enter by Attica Blues

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remus Lupin gives me a small, almost stuporous, smile as he nods in approval before walking up towards the front of the room. I blink and suddenly all that sheer courage that appeared was gone and I felt as if I was going to collapse.

"Harry, of all ideas that are dumb and impulsive, why did you have to go along with this one?"

The shaking was getting worse, even to the point where my body naturally started leaning forward to tremble. I slid in my chair next to Neville and brought my knees to my chest as class slowly began to start. A couple people looked over but simply shrugged and sat down. They looked toward the teacher, while I stared at my book, my feet, my hands, anything except the face of the man who may've had a part in killing my parents. This Professor, with gall I haven't seen in a while, decided that I would be his target for the day.

Neville mumbled to me under his breath, after I answered two or three questions correctly, "He picks a daily target, have fun."

Lucky for me, though, my photographic memory never stopped working. I would be half-listening, he would call on me, I answer the question correctly, and he'd move along. This continued until class ended, class began to transition but he held me by the shoulder when I tried getting up.

"Sit, Harry."

Isn't that just dandy, Potter? He knows who you are.

Oh, happy day!

I desperately tried not to respond to the voice, seeing as he only truly responded or shut up when I spoke aloud.

The fact that he said Potter this time, bothered me, though.

Tread carefully, Harry, or he may find out about us.

"Yes, Professor Lupin?" I said as flatly as I could manage.

"You keep giving me very unnerving looks during class, it makes one wonder why."

Maybe because you killed the kid's parents.

He didn't do it directly.

Same thing.

"Your mind is wandering, Harry, look at me."

I breathe slowly, trying to calm down, then I look at him, "You killed my parents."

His eyes flash with something dark and he takes a deep breath, allowing himself to stand a little straighter, then he lets go of me and walks away. He doesn't say a word. As I headed off to my next class, I wondered if that was an admittance of guilt or if it was just too much to hear.

...

Walking towards the planetary studies room, my elective, I noticed there were only about 10 students taking this class. To my dismay, I knew none of them. A tall, young woman with dark skin sat behind her desk, watching me enter. Her dark umber hair was pulled back in a tight ponytail that flattered her high cheekbones.

"Harry Potter?" she asked, speaking a little too much through her nose.

"Yes, Ma'am."

"Just Miss Aurora is fine, or Professor Sinistra, if you prefer."

I got a few interested looks before correcting myself, "Yes, Miss Aurora." and their interest faded.

"Good, you found the room without trouble. I was just telling the class,"