Chapter 60: Sense of Intimacy

A.N.
Chapter Song: Missing Someone I've Never Seen by April Rain

.............................................

~Thursday, Day 16~

I woke in the same spot I'd fallen asleep, Draco and I still lying together. I never knew I could wake up to something so simple that would make me feel so whole, so complete. I turned slowly, facing Draco, and woke him in the process.

His eyes squinted open, "Babeeeee, no. Sleeeeeeeep." He drug out, pulling me closer.

"Babe?" I grin, amused at both the nickname and the expression on his face of a squinting 5 year-old. That's a new one.

"Mmmhm, sleep." His eyes were closed, moving from my neck to begin groping for my waist.

I unwrapped his arms from around me, "Come on, Dray, gotta go."

"Dray?" He asks, confused.

I laugh, "Forget it, I'm eating without you."

He wakes up a bit more, rubbing his eyes. "Okay, okay, I'm up."

He gets up, grabbing his discarded shirt from the floor and I see him wince, the bruises were fading slightly but nowhere near invisible. His face is a bit better too, but nothing some makeup couldn't fix. He notices me staring at the bruise and his eyes flick down, his face coloring with shame. Looks like he's fully awake now.

"Let's go see Zorro and Cas." I tell him and he nods, following behind me.

I don't know what to say, he doesn't want my reassurance or coddling, I can tell that much. I don't know what else to say, I can't apologize for his dad or the fact Lucius doesn't approve of me, for whatever reason. I can't hold him and say everything will definitely be alright without there being a thread of lies involved, because I don't know what will happen, life has a tendency to throw some major curve-balls at some of the most important points in someone's life. That's how it all works in the grand scheme of things.

Zorro and Castiel seemed cheerful as ever, playing with each other, but grew even more excited upon seeing us enter. I put out my arm, allowing Castiel to scurry up and around my shoulders. We usually never were apart for long, so Castiel was probably a bit worried. Castiel laid down, draping himself around my neck, nuzzling his face against my neck. The gesture was one he had done since I first got him, he did it to show how much he loved me, and it brings me peace to have that familiar touch in this strange place.

Draco held Zorro in his arms and the fox seemed to beam in response. I looked over towards the door and grinned, trying to brighten the mood.

"Any chance we could have them at the table with us?"

Draco nodded, "Only one way to find out."

...

As it turned out, it was allowed as long as Lucius wasn't home. Seeing as he wasn't to be expected at the house at least until afternoon, we had no qualms of eating at the table with our pets. Narcissa sat at one end of the table, Draco then I sitting on her right side, she was sipping a cup of coffee. I could tell by the smell of it that it was definitely doused in gingerbread flavoring, the scent was almost pungent. I made a point to, jokingly, tell her so.

Draco looked at me with wide eyes, surprised at my outburst that must have seemed out of the blue in regards to the silence beforehand. He seemed even more surprised at my gall to outright say something like that. My flat tone of voice must have sounded serious because he seemed like he was about to tell me something before I heard his mom laugh.

"Oh, really, Harry? Well, if I did 'drown in gingerbread flavoring', I would say it would be a delightful way to go." She took another sip of her drink, her smile bright and her eyes twinkling.

Draco smiled, "Haven't seen you smile like that in a while, Momma."

"Momma?" she asked, setting her mug down. "Haven't heard that in a while either. What bug bit you?"

I watched with a sense of intimacy, but the feeling was a fond one. Not many people get to see these sides of Narcy and Draco, but I get to see them and the concept is amazing. Without thinking, I reach out and brush the side of my pinkie finger against his right hand and he flinches. My happiness wanes a bit, then he holds my hand in his, not missing a beat in their conversation. She saw the movement, I don't doubt that, but she keeps on smiling. Seems as though the problem lies solely in Lucius Malfoy.

"Harry," I look up and I find I'm the only one who hasn't finished my omelette. "What's the matter, scowling all to yourself like that?"

"Lady Narcissa," she smiles at the nickname but after a second she realizes my tone is serious and the smile fades.

"Yes, Harry?"

"How would you feel if I wanted to date your son?"

"You are a good boy, Harry. You have a bright head on your shoulders for a boy your age, and you have an ability to make my son the happiest I've seen him in years. I would be glad if you wished to date my son. However, his father is an entirely different animal."

I feel my hand instinctively curl tighter around Draco's, "So I've seen."

"He is a very flawed man, Harry..." Narcissa whispers, as if scared she'll startle Draco at the mention of his father. "I'm not condoning anything he has done but he is still his father. Draco is old enough to make his own decisions," she looks over to Draco. "So, Draco, you can do whatever you deem fit, with or without his blessing. However, I do beg you try to stay on his good side."

Draco nods, listless, as though he'd heard the speech dozens of times before. "I want Harry and I to work out."

She smiled, "If the feeling is mutual, then it will, undoubtedly. No relationship is easy, but you aren't supposed to force things." The later part felt more like a silent warning, though I'm not sure to who, I would gauge she was talking to Draco based on his reaction. What does that mean?

What part of this has been forced? Am I pushing him into this? Or does she think he's pushing me?