Chapter 62: The Final Countdown

A.N.

Chapter songs:

Without You by Oliver Boyd and the Remembralls

and

You Are My Sunshine by The Civil Wars

-------------------------------------------------------------

The food is done with only 20 minutes to spare to get ready before the few guests are supposed to arrive. Draco and I made a point to rush upstairs and dress quickly, after deciding we needed to only be semi-formal. I didn't pay much attention to what either of us chose to wear, it all seemed kind of pointless in the grand scheme of things. I wondered how much I could touch Draco's hand during the party, wrap my arm around his shoulder, how far I could take any display of affection before I would be too obvious and take the notice of his father. The earlier conversation left a bitter feeling in my stomach, I didn't like the way things were seeming to go.

Unfortunately, I didn't realize it would only get worse from there.

Once we got downstairs, someone had already arrived early and stood at the bottom of the stairs. There stood Blaise, eyes trained fiercely on Draco, and my stomach wrenched. I felt an anger rivaling Tom's absolute fury rising in my gut. The smug piece of shit, what is he doing here?

I can practically feel Draco stiffen next to me before I catch him forcing a smile, "You're early."

"You say that as though you don't want me here, that wounds me."

I have to swallow the words we both don't in my throat, then I plaster a smile on my face before pointing Blaise in direction of the couch. He gives me a look, one of his eyebrows cocked and I feel my fingers twitch.

Mayday, mayday, I find myself thinking, this is very bad, Harry.

***

The night seems to pass in a blur, Draco constantly swept away from me by his ex, Blaise, but I drain everything out of me to put every ounce of trust I have in Draco to not let a repeat of the Christmas party happen again. At around eleven I catch sight of Blaise whispering something in Draco's ear with a smirk and Draco's face goes blank, as though everything had been drained from him in that one moment. I force myself into the circle the two are in and make occasional small talk, all the while watching Draco's face tense and slack with every word that Blaise says.

I wanna slit the bastard's throat, but I have to swallow the thought, pushing my way through the hall and to the kitchen, filling a glass with water from the tap. I drink the entire thing, then try to keep myself from hyperventilating. Dobby finds his way to me and taps my shoulder, his face adorned with a sad expression at my misery.

"Steal him away, it will be the new year soon, Harry." he smiles.

I manage a smile and thank him, making my way to Draco. In a showy way, I act nervous as I ramble about running out of utensils and needing Draco to help me find some extras. He seems to catch on and acts as though he can't be bothered but follows me out of the living area to a small alcove in the foyer, hidden from the rest of their watching eyes. From our spot, you can see through the windows and see the lights and decorations left over from Christmas at nearby houses. We slide down to the floor, watching the lights as everyone begins the countdown.

10!

I hold Draco's hand in mine, "I missed you tonight."