Chapter 19: Skipping Astronomy Class

Chapter Song: It's Hard to Move You by A Thorn For Every Heart

---------------------------------------------------------------

I knew no one could've heard me from the school grounds. I was too far away and the waves were so loud as they crashed against the rocks. I felt safe there, even though if I drowned, I'd be miles from help. To be entirely honest, I would've been okay with it to die right then and there. Being there, feeling the waves rush up my legs, stopping at my waist to pull back into the water, I'd never felt so free. I looked over my shoulder, trying to see the academy through the woods but I couldn't. Giving up, I laid on my back, stared up at the sky and dreamed of being somewhere grand. Somewhere without anyone but me. Already alone in the world, having no drama caused by other humans would be the only step upward.

Harry, you're friends are probably worried. You should go back.

Don't act like you care.

Will you just listen to me? Just this once?

If they really cared, they'd be out looking for me.

And risk everyone calling you a dropout or getting expelled for ignoring curfew?

Please, just leave me alone.

Think about what I said, Harry.

My inner-debate completely stops when I hear something, maybe an engine, pass by. To get my mind off things, I hum an old song my mother used to sing to me and the feeling is bittersweet. God, how I miss her. My father too. I almost smile, remembering how tenderly my mother held me in her arms and how softly my father always spoke, afraid to startle me. I hear the engine again, so I turn to look and see a motorcycle pull up onto the cliff. It stops, is parked, and the person on it moves to the edge and hangs their legs off the edge. I watch the figure as they stare at the moon, and I swear I heard crying. I look away, afraid to intrude, and lied back in the water.

I hear a hoarse voice call out, "GOD DAMN IT, WHY CAN'T I DO ANYTHING RIGHT?!"

The water rushed through my ears, so the voice was garbled, but I heard them kick the metal railing and scream until their voice broke. I almost wanted to comfort them, but trying to calm a stranger wasn't exactly on my bucket list, so I tried ignoring them. They must have saw me because they suddenly stopped screaming and ran on the rocky edge off the gradual slope nearby me. I continued staring at the sky, disinterested in whoever it was. I just kept humming There Was An Old Lady, remembering as my mother always giggled at parts, which always made me smile.

I hear the stranger yelling now, "Hold on, Harry! God, Harry, are you alright?!"

Hearing the tone and recognizing it immediately, I jolt to sit up and crash foreheads with him. A large red place is there but he ignores it, checking my pulse and my face.

"Why are you out here so late! It's freezing! You could get pneumonia out here!"

I stick my fingers in my ears, hoping to get both the water and his yelling to dissipate. It doesn't.

"I'm fine, Draco. Jeez, calm down." I interrupt him as he grinds to a halt.

"Why are you out here so late?"

"Why, hello, Kettle, fancy seeing you here." I say sarcastically, standing and heading towards the rock with my shoes and socks.

"What?"

"I'm guessing you never heard the saying 'Look at the pot calling the kettle black.' Pity."

He rolls his eyes, "Don't be a smartass. I was fucking worried you're dead and now you treat me like roadkill."

I don't really know how to respond, so I just watch him, instinctively reaching out and touching the bruise beginning to form on his forehead. He flinches and his eyes widen. I lower my arm and sit on the sand against the cliff and without a word he sits right next to me, his ankle touching mine. He glances at me from the corner of his eye and moves even closer so our hips are touching. The mood is awkward, but the closeness is comforting.

"Why did you scream that? From the cliff?" I asked, watching him.

"You heard that?" he blushed a bit, avoiding eye contact, "I must sound really psychotic... screaming at nothing."

I laughed bitterly, catching his eye, "Not really. Comparatively, that's pretty normal."

He smiled a little, then it fell, "Why are you out here alone?"

"I needed to unwind, a lot has happened since I got here. It's barely been a week."

He nods, "I screamed that... because I really screwed up. I really want to be friends, Harry, and I really screwed up."

I shake my head, "You had good intentions, I get that, just don't try to tell me who I should and shouldn't be friends with okay?"

"Okay."

"I'm late for Astrology." I think out loud, staring at the stars.

Draco shrugged, "Last time I checked, you'd passed out from exhaustion. I remember, I had to drag you to the infirmary myself."

I was confused, trying to reply, and he winked.

"No worries. I got your back. Come on, let's listen to some music."

"Got an mp3 player?"

"Of course, who doesn't?" he said with a grin, giving me a headphone.

Me. Oh well, the best way to get to know someone is to learn their interests. Music helps. Suddenly, a really slow song I recognized came on. A song my father used to sing. A song that no one anywhere near my age ever seemed to know, the band too was practically only known to people 30 and over!

I smiled and he whispered, "You like this song?"

I nodded, and suddenly, I felt really tired. It was like lead pulling on my eyelids, and I closed my eyes, leaning my head on Draco's shoulder. In the back of my mind, my head told me I should get up and walk back to school... but the warmth I felt when I leaned against him begged me to stay.

So... I stayed.

I heard Draco whisper, "Wow..." before taking out the headphones and leaning his head back against the wall, then I fell asleep.