Chapter 40: The First Date (Part 2 of 2)

A.N.

Chapter song: How Did You Know? by The Seeking

SO, I had ANOTHER problem with this chapter getting deleted by the server. Oh joy. This is a rewrite. I hope it's as good as the original was.

The exit brings in a wave of light and mild activity, the world suddenly losing the quiet that was in the shop, all of the buildings equally historic and beautiful.

"What're you grinning for?" I ask, making his smile grow as we walk back onto the main street, heading where I guess the electronics store is in this district.

"I find it amusing how he never tells me what book I'm buying. He just picks them for me and I find out when I get home."

"You never check to see if you already have one at home?"

"I never do. He remembers."

"How does he know what you'll like?" I ask, making his smile grow as we walk back onto the main street, heading where I guess the electronics store is in this district.

"I guess he just follows the pattern of what I like and chooses from all the books he has that fits the profile."

"That's awesome."

"Yeah. Come on, we've got to buy you an mp3 and some music to put on it."

"Are you going to make me get a green and black one?"

"Just for that comment? Yes. It is now set in stone and it's all your fault."

"You suck."

Draco laughed at my scrunched face and wraps his arm around my waist, earning giggles from a couple hipster girls in front of the store. He winks at them and they giggle even more. I pinch his side and he yelps.

"Don't encourage them." I whisper and he laughs through his nose, leading me to the back of the store.

He finds a touch-screen mp3, gets a seemingly-bullet-proof case for it (green and black, as promised), against my insistence of getting something cheaper.

"This is for you, I'm not going to be cheap about it. Plus, I have the money."

After he buys it, we go into a music area in the back corner and he puts headphones on my head. I sort through random tracks for a couple seconds before I feel him invade my personal space again. Wrapping his arms around my waist, he watches my screen over my shoulder with his chin on my shoulder. He presses his nose to my neck and I see him close his eyes in the reflection of the screen.

I'm happy about the contact. Too happy. It seems unreal. I'm so happy and it terrifies me to think it can just as easily disappear.

I settle on a song in the alternative rock genre and let it play, feeling Draco's hands shift the hem of my shirt just slightly so his hands rest on my stomach, under my shirt. As I lean my head back against his shoulder, I feel my heart swell, then tighten. How long will this last? I feel like crying, but I turn my head to face him as he watches me curiously from the corner of his eye. I have to tell him. I press a kiss under his earlobe and at the crook of his jaw, leaning my head against his as my eyes slip closed. I have to tell him.

I have to tell him about Tom, about everything.

His eyes turn to me and I feel his gaze linger, I open my eyes and the affection in his eyes wrenches my heart. I take the headphones off and turn to him, hugging him tight and burying my face in his neck. I don't cry, not in public like this, but I feel so safe right now that I probably could cry and not feel ashamed. I kiss his neck softly, and his pulse races, his arms tightening around me. He knows I'm scared and I think he is too. He must be just as terrified as I am.

We barely know each other and yet we've already grown so close, gotten so dependent on the other's company. I think we're both terrified of being torn apart and what I tell him might do just that, deep down I think he knows that too. I tighten my grip around his neck, my knuckles turning white as they hang stiffly behind his neck. His chin over my shoulder and his hands holding me tight on my hips. We're so close. We're breathing the same air. If we untangled, I wouldn't be more than a few millimeters from his mouth.

The sound of giggling, whispering, and groans of disgust bring me back from the clouds my head was in. I turn my head to the side, my eyes open and glaring at the girls shamelessly snapping photos of us. I know we're in public but, Jesus, can't you see we're having a private moment here? I turn back, my mouth moving loosely against his neck.

"Those assholes are staring."

"Let them stare." he says thickly, "It's just you and me, now."

"I think I'm ready to go back to the house."

"Me too." I could feel him laughing deep in his throat.

"Let's go, we're giving them a free show they should be paying for." he says with a grin, giving me a quick squeeze before entwining his fingers in mine, sliding his credit card on the machine and paying for my music, disconnecting the device from the machine and handing it to me. I stuffed it in my pocket, walking side-by-side with him towards the doors. (Not before giving a lethal glare to the girls, who I now realized were the same girls from outside the shop.)

Speeding down the street, we ran into the place where we parked the truck, bracing himself against the driver's door and me falling into his chest. We laughed hysterically, our breaths coming out ragged.

"Geez, what a stink-eye you have, Harry- I thought they were going to burst into flames."

"Damn hipsters."

"Oh come on, they aren't that bad." he countered, running his free hand through my hair and his hand staying on my cheek, leaning his nose against mine.

"I'm glad I met you." I say suddenly, and he smiles, his eyes closed as I lean into him.

"I'm glad I met you, too."