The Monster at the End of This Book

Start from the beginning

"Well, thanks to the lone gunmen I've found out that these books are pretty obscure. I mean, almost zero circulation. Uh, started in '05. The publisher put out a couple dozen before going bankrupt. And, uh, the last one-'No Rest For The Wicked'-Ends with you going to hell."

"I reiterate. Freaking insane,"

"Check it out." Sam said from his laptop "There's actually fans. There's not many of them, but still. Although for fans, they sure do complain a lot. Listen to this-Simpatico says 'the demon story line is trite, cliched, and overall craptastic.',"

"Yeah, well, screw you, Simpatico." Dean muttered "We lived it,"

Maxima laughed "Yeah. Well, keep on reading. It gets better,"

"There are 'Sam girls' and 'Dean girls' and 'Maxima fans' and...'Sax fans' and 'Dax fans'...and-what's a 'slash fan'?"

"As in...Sam-slash-Dean-slash-Maxima. Together,"

"Well..." Dean shrugged.

"Dean! As in you and Sam...and me,"

Dean's face fell. "They do know we're brothers, right?"

Sam shook his head "Doesn't seem to matter,"

"Oh, come on. That...That's just sick." Dean stood up in a huff "We got to find this Carver Edlund,"

"Yeah," Max sighed "that might not be so easy,"

"Why not?"

"No tax records, no known address. He's more hidden then the lone gunmen...well that and 'Carver Edlund' is a pen name,"

"Somebody's gotta know who he is,"

***

Sam, Dean, and Maxima were meeting with the publish of the 'Supernatural' series: a young, attractive woman in a long sweater.

The Publisher was eager but appeared both a little nervous and somewhat skeptical of the hunters' intentions.

"So you published the 'Supernatural' books?" Maxima asked.

"Yep. Yeah. Gosh. These books..." The Publisher rambled "You know, they never really got the attention they deserved. All anybody wants to read anymore is that romance crap. You know-'Doctor Sexy, M.D.'?" she scoffed "Please,"

"Right." Sam said "Well, we're hoping that our article can...shine a light on an underappreciated series,"

"Yeah, yeah, because, you know, if we got a little bit of good press then m-maybe could start publishing again,"

"No, no, no, no. God, no.  mean, why-why would you want to do that?" Dean argued.

Max elbowed him. "What my partner means to say is that the series seemed complete, what with Dean going to hell and all,"

The Publisher became very emotional "Oh, my god! That was one of my favorite ones, because Dean was so...strong...and sad and brave. And Sam...I mean, the best parts are when they'd cry. You know, like in-In 'Heart', when Sam had to kill Madison, the first woman since Jessica he really loved. And in 'Home,' when Dean had to call John and ask him for help. And those moments between Dean and Maxima..."

Maxima couldn't help the blush that arose on her cheeks.

"Gosh...if only real men were so open and in touch with their feelings,"

"Real men?" Dean scoffed.

"I mean, no offense. How often do you cry like that, hmm?"

"Well, right now, I'm crying on the inside,"

"Is that supposed to be funny?"

"Lady, this whole thing is funny,"

"How do I know you three are legit, hmm?"

"Oh, trust me. We, uh...we're legit,"

"Well, I don't want any smart-ass article making fun of my boys,"

"Your boys?!" Maxima argued "I would have assumed they were Maxima's boys,"

"I actually thought she was written in to appease the romantics, I mean she does have minimal chapters until you get to her and Dean's bits,"

Maxima stood up "I am not just some side piece!" she left the office in a huff.

The boys were quick to follow her.

Max picked up her cell phone before either could speak "Tell me you got something before I go in there and claw that woman's eyes out,"

"The author's name is Chuck Shurley," Frohike reported. "With a name like that it's no wonder he used a pseudonym,"

"Thanks, Frohike. Now tell Langly to stop staring at the cover image of me before I head over there and do some damage," Maxima hung up and looked at the boys "We got it," she eyed the Publisher's office.

Dean lead her away "Okay, tiger let's go,"

"Side character..." Max scoffed. "I deserve my own series with the shit I deal with,"

"So...'your boys'?" Dean teased.

"Shut it Winchester. Or we won't repeat page 199..." Maxima stared him down "ever..."

"What about page 99?"

Maxima kept on walking.

"Max?!"