Part 53

So two days and nothing big has happened here. Maybe I'm not making it fun. Oh, I finished my letter. It's upstairs in my jacket pocket, waiting to be mailed soon. I don't know if it will be. As much as I hate him, I think I'm more confused. He knows I don't like liars, but he still lied to me. Or just didn't tell me the truth. Can't say he lied kuz I never asked him about it. So I'm sticking with the fact he didn't tell me the truth. He could have said why he was living in Houston now and what happened in his life. But he had to go and be all secretive about it. What would we have done? Judged him? No! We just would have left him alone. Duh. I mean yeah it sounds wrong, but if I knew all this stuff, I wouldn't want to be his friend or anything else.
That would seem too dangerous to me. Everyday knowing he can lash out at anyone. I would be afraid to say anything to him. Kinda like I am now. He called last night, I didn't answer kuz I was afraid of what I might do.  If I said the wrong thing and he flipped out, that could be the end of my life. He's crazy! And I don't like it. I was fine with just thinking he had a few problems in life and he was getting through it. Gee, my cousins sure know how to ruin a so called vacation.

"Beyonce, from what I heard, you been feeling kinda down. Why?"

I looked up from my bowl or cereal and shrugged my shoulders.

"I guess I'm a little home sick Mimi."

Mimi and PopPop. My two favorite old people in the world. The grandparents I'm with.

"Is it that boy your cousins were down here talking about? What's his name? Shawn?" I nodded and she just smiled at me.

"Well, whenever I miss my kids or my grandkids, I call them up. Have you called him yet baby?"

I shook my head no and my grandpa started laughing.

"Call the damn boy up child."

I excused myself from the table and went upstairs. I wasn't gonna call him for real, but I did want them to not talk about him anymore. I should have stayed downstairs kuz as soon as I got ready for a nap, my phone started ringing loudly. I picked it up from the floor and looked at the screen. Shawn. Should I answer it or no? I wasn't goig to, but something told me that this wasn't gonna get resolved by me just ignoring him.

"Hello?"

I could imagine him now. Sitting on a couch somewhere, with his legs up on the table, and holding the phone up to his ear smiling.

"Hey baby. I called you a couple times, guess you were having fun huh?"

Oh boy. How do I break his little happy tone.

"Um yeah, just hanging out with my cousins. How are you doing over there? Having fun?" I tried to sound happy and cheerful.

"Yeah, I guess. It ain't the same as Houston, but can't complain."

There was a long silence between us. Either he was thinking, or he fell asleep waiting.

"Well, it was nice talking to you. I'm gonna go now and find something to do." Look at me, I sound like I just met the boy recently.

"Oh, alright. I'll call you back tonight if that's cool."

Think, think, think.

"No sorry. I'ma be out. Bye."

I hung up the phone before he could say anything back. I know what he's thinking now. He's worrying about what guy I met and if I'm cheating on him now. That's gonna lead to him trying to do something with a female too. I know this all too well. I been here before, and I wish I never came back to this place in our relationship.

"Beyonce! Where are you? Don't tell me you still sleeping! I'll knock you out!" I started laughing as Kristin busted through my door.

"Oh there you are. Well why ain't you answer when I called you just now?" This girl is on some kind of drugs.