Transferred Pain| KomaHina Oneshot

(Post AU, they all remember every part of their lives. The game, the remnants, the deaths. Also, conflicts with headcanon from past book but idc its cute. Also, repetitive from last book but I'm tired)

It was about time. They were finally going to work towards getting Nagito out of his pod. Hajime was beyond ecstatic, and had to aggressively gurgle ocean water util he choked to calm down. (No one ask why, it was just soothing). After consideration, they decided to do Nekomaru before Nagito because he had more extreme injuries, so they'd know how to heal those. And frankly, it drained them so so quickly, but the result was worth it. A perfectly healthy Nekomaru was now training everyone in the art of self defense. With this experience in mind, Hajime thought it easier to restore Nagito.

He thought wrong. So wrong.

No amount of healing could bring his hand back. That dawned on Hajime quickly. Nagito would never experience what it would be like to be whole again, and would never be able to look at himself without self loathing. But, he had a solution. Hopefully. Hajime was rushing over to the small shack Souda had began tinkering in and opened the door." Kazuichi! How technically advanced are you?!" He yelled, much to Souda's surprise." Ah! What the heck dude! Knock first! Pretty damn good I'd say!" Souda yelled back, and Hajime closed the door hurriedly." Could you, hypothetically, make a prosthetic limb?" Hinata continued, and Souda blinked." Is this for your boyf- Nagito?" He asked, lookin away as Hajime's glare dug into his skull." Okay, yeah, I probably could. It wouldn't connect to the brain or anything like that, I'm not a surgeon," Souda continued, averting his gaze. Now it was Hajime's turn to blink exasperatedly, but gave him a pat on the back and rushed out of the shed.

         Problem one, solved. Knowing Souda, the arm would be done in a month. Hajime congratulated himself proudly when he realized he said problem one. There were so many other problems he couldn't even think to help fix. What about the poison in his lungs? His cancer? His hole in his stomach!? What was Hajime suppose to do? Even though he honed into his every talent to help save the others, he was directed by others because he wasn't Izuru. And right there was when Hajime decided to find Chiaki and see what he could do in retrieving Nagito's memories from the scattered Neo World. She was always someone he could confide in.

        "Hajime," Speak of the devil. Hajime walked over to the computer set up against the wall of the pod building, and saw Chiaki's face light up." Good, you're here, how are you?" She asked, searching his face with her piercing eyes." Worried, can I do anything to help you with the memories?" Hajime asked quickly, already feeling more sad the longer he looked at her." Yeah, you could do something," she said, and disappeared from the screen." Uh, what do you need me to do?!" Hajime inquired, forcing his excitement into his stomach as he stared at the screen." I need fragments, happy memories from a few locations, and I don't really know Nagito enough, so..." A blurry picture of several locations began to appear on the screen. The old hotel, the beach, the hospital, and what looked like a mashup of everyplace.

        Chiaki knew he was the right person to ask, and he knew she knew it was because Hajime made Nagito the happiest out of all of them. Not for the right reasons, clearly. She imagined Nagito was intrigued by Hajime because of his potential." In the old building, when we were having that party, I knew Nagito was having a great time. Despite what happened afterwards, he was beaming, and talking with everyone. He loved that place, and heh, I remember that time when he tried to get me to feed him. Uh, I didn't! I promise! He was just really excited then. And... on the beach, Nagito told me everything. How his luck worked, what happened to his parents, and... his illness. He looked so relieved for those split seconds he allowed himself to show through to me. Then, in the hospital, while he was in pain, he told me he really enjoyed my company. And... anywhere of my choice... it was on the beach I think, and he told me... he told me... he told me he was excited to see the hope that lives inside me. He had this scary, but reassuring look in his eyes, and I knew I couldn't understand him, but I knew I didn't need to," Hajime ranted, his eyes closed and his voice dreamy. In this moment, Chiaki knew she was wrong. She didn't imagine that Nagito was entranced by Hajime because of his everything.
———
       3 months passed. Sonia was pep talking everyone, as the final stages were commencing. She was the one in charge of most everything, but even despite this, Hajime was doing half of the work by himself. Not because he was forced to, because he wanted to." Alright fam! This week is the week where at some point, Nagito will awaken from his slumber and wake a new! Nothing must go wrong in these moments!" Sonia declared, and began directing orders. Hajime zoned out, already planning what he was going to do for the week despite his sore arms, his hoarse throat, his pained back, his-" And Hajime, your job will be to sit next to Nagito for 8 hours everyday and make sure he is still breathing!" Sonia called, stepping down from the stool." What? But, with all due respect I-" "Nonsense! Now leave!" Sonia interrupted, a kind smile on her face and forceful eyes. Hajime left quickly and entered the pod chambers.

        He grabbed the stool and took a seat next to Nagito. His eyes were closed in a peaceful slumber, his hair frizzed over his face. Hajime knew why Sonia put him in here, and he wasn't going to stand for it. He pulled the monitors over and watched the heart rate spike. And then his eyes drifted. When was the last time he got a full 8 hours of sleep? Hinata thought, and thought, and finally realized the only time was 3 months ago, before they started working on Nagito. He blinked rapidly and retracted the pod's lid. With the lid removed, Mikan said (not accurate) that the fresh air will kickstart the brain into reality, and the sun shining from the slot windows near the ceiling will wake them up. Hajime couldn't help but think to how daunting it was to perform brain surgery, and how Mikan only confirmed it gave him until 25. Hajime's eyes travelled down to the body, and he reached down, grabbing Nagito's cold hand in his own." They never wake on the first day... just a... yeah,"

16 hours passed. 2:00, a.m.

         "...Ha...jime?"