Congratulations| KomaHina Oneshot

Shorter oneshot, past you got tired and is contemplating things.

         Nagito brushed past Akane quickly, hoping to find the item he needed for the execution. By execution, he doesn't mean murder. For the first time, he means love confession, to who else but Hajime? He began to search the shelves and tilted forward, sending everything toppling to the ground." Ah, what an annoying circumstance," he mumbled, picking up the classic chocolates and flowers from the wreckage and leaving. But, this was always a good sign. Everything bad that happens to him transfers into something incredible. Maybe gambling wasn't the smartest game, but it was his game and he always had the right hand.

        It never settled on his mind that Hajime might like someone else until the first free time period. At first, he hung out with Kuzuryu for a whole day, and then Gundham, and then Sonia. But then, even after he got all the hope fragments for Chiaki, he kept hanging out with her. Not once did the boy come to hang out with him. But Nagito interpreted this as more bad luck. He eyed the other islanders and decided on a bold move. What if he left the gifts on the bed and see who Hajime thinks it's from? It would be the perfect deduction plan, and it would have to work in his favor one way or another.
———
      There was the brunette, approaching Chiaki. Behind him were the gifts Nagito so delicately laid out on his bed. The hope was already draining, but he would not succumb to despair. Maybe Hajime was just seeing if Chiaki knew who sent the gifts. Nagito watched his soft hands fidget with the plastic wrappings, his head looking around like a hawk. What a beautiful stroke of luck, Nagito achieved to have been in the presence of such a hopeful person.

       At the same time, the hopeful person held out the gifts to Chiaki. At the same time, Nagito's heart broke. Hajime was giving away his gift to someone else. What else could he be doing? Perhaps... maybe he was giving the gifts over to her for her to inspect! It would be something in their range of intelligence. That bright smile, the embarrassed neck rub, the cheeks of red meant nothing. It was all just a ploy, obviously. Nagito still had the upper hand, he knew so.

He really thought so...
———
      Nothing happened, in those next days. But Nagito had a new plan. Something straightforward, something that not even the blind Hajime could miss. A confession. An actual confession. All of his bad luck, both future and past would all add up into this day. Everything would go right, and he meant everything. See, Hajime arrived on time, sat in between Chiaki and Nagito, and even smiled at Nagito. All while the flowers rested underneath his coat during breakfast. He could barely breath, he was that excited.

          That excitement fizzled rapidly as he saw the others group around Chiaki and Hajime, forcing Nagito to stumble to the back of the crowd. What had happened, while he was daydreaming? He heard congratulations, and felt Nekomaru seize him by the arm." No hard feelings!!!" The guy yelled before throwing Nagito out while they celebrated. His blood boiled, and then quickly settled. His good luck had a reason for doing everything. Maybe Hajime would walk out that door right now with a look of guilt upon his wonderful face.

        Or maybe Hajime and Chiaki will walk out together, hand in hand, barely giving Nagito a chance to speak as the crowd followed them to the bridge, and halted. The flowers slipped from Nagito's jacket and into the pool. How- how could he? How could Nagito be so stupid to even get his hopes that high? He was a rung on a ladder, a stepping stone in a river. He could never, and will never be the one climbing the ladder or jumping across stones. How could he lose his place so easily? How could Nagito fall in love so hopefully, wishing that Hajime would show him any pity. No, he knew one truth and one truth alone.

He was truly, utterly alone now.

Until the end