58. Kissing Tears Away On Holidays

I'd straightened out my dress shirt before knocking on Mr. Travers door. Rhys had opened the door with a big smile and welcomed me inside. Once I was inside I said hello to everyone, it looked like I'd been the last person to arrive. Jamie had run up to me and gave me a big hug. My father had quirked an eyebrow at that but he didn't say anything about it.

That man fucking notices everything.

Most of the afternoon was lighthearted and it was good to see everyone. I don't think I'll ever get over seeing my father with Katie. Rae had even made a brief comment about how happy the two of them looked and I'd nodded but I couldn't help but think that should be us.

Jamie played well with Amelia. They were immediate friends my father had said. He smiled at the two of them as they chased each other around the house. It was kind of funny how both Darren and my father were with women half their age. Although, I will say, Darren's wife is constantly ogling my father.

Rhys and Lindsay are downstairs watching a movie with the kids while everyone else is still in the dining room, everyone except Rae. She'd excused herself right after the meal and gone upstairs. She looked upset but I didn't dare go after her. No, not until no one was paying attention.

I go up the stairs and walk down the hallway, stopping in front of Rae's door. It's slightly ajar and when I peek my head in I see Rae standing in the middle of the room crying. I don't hesitate, I walk directly over to her after closing the door.

"Rae?" I question, stopping in front of her. "What's wrong?" She looks up at me and immediately starts wiping her tears away.

"It's nothing." She sniffles and wipes at her face again with her sweater. "I'm fine, Seth. I'm just emotional. You know me."

"Yeah, I do know you. So, what the hell happened?" Her eyes are red-rimmed when she looks up at me and I can tell she was crying even harder than what I'd walked in on.

"Liam and I got into a fight. It's nothing." It's definitely not nothing though. It takes a lot to get Rae this worked up.

"I'm sorry." It's all I say because I'm the last person she should be talking to about her marital problems. But I can't help but ask, "Do you want to talk about it?"

"No, not really." She wraps her arms around herself. "I just-" She chokes back a sob which makes me automatically wrap my arms around her small frame. I thought she'd push me away but she doesn't, she hugs me back as a few more tears spill from her eyes.

After a moment I let her go and I know she was crying, that I shouldn't have enjoyed it, but it doesn't change the fact that holding her felt so good. Having her that close, inside of my arms for the first time in five years, felt so fucking good. It felt so good it hurt.

"You always smell so good." Rae shakes her head and lets out a little laugh.

"So do you." We stand there staring at each other for a moment and I know she's married, I know it's wrong, but I really want to kiss her. "I really want to kiss you." I blurt it out before I even think twice. "Fuck, I'm sorry. You were just crying and I'm such a fucking idiot. I'm sorry. I don't know what's wrong with me. I just can't seem to fucking control myself when it comes to you. Even after all these years I-"

"It's fine, Seth, I've missed you too." She looks up at me and flutters her damp lashes at me longingly. "I've missed you a lot." She pulls her bottom lip between her teeth and I had never realized, until this very moment, how much someone could miss one small action so much.

It lights a fire deep inside of me and I don't even give myself a chance to think of anything at all before I mash my lips onto hers. Her lips move against mine hesitantly at first and then in the same hungry fashion that mine move against hers. When I push my tongue inside she gladly lets me, pushing her tongue back into mine. Even after all this time, all these years, our mouths work perfectly together. She's perfect.

I let my hands wander her body, stroking the beautiful curves she has. When her hands do the same to me I can't help but moan into her mouth. I push her back until we reach the edge of the bed and push her down onto the mattress. I feel like a teenager again as I thrust my hips into hers, fully clothed. Fuck clothing. I push up Rae's sweater and just before I get to her breasts she freezes.

"Seth, we can't." I slowly lift myself off of her, putting my weight onto my elbows as I look down at her. I study her for a moment, never thinking I'd have her beneath me this way ever again, and then roll off of her.

I cover my hands over my face. "I'm sorry, Rae. I don't know what I was thinking." Because I wasn't thinking. My brain never works properly around her.

"I don't know what I was thinking either." She utters the words breathlessly. "Once you'd said those words, I'd wanted you to." And those last words came out as barely more than a whisper.

"It's been seven years since I've kissed you like that." I take my hands off of my face letting out a deep breath.

"I know." She lets out a deep breath as well.

I roll onto my side and look at her frame that's lying next to me. "I missed you."

She looks over to me and says, "I missed you too, Seth." I reach out and caress her soft cheek. "Everyone is probably wondering where we are."

"Let them wonder." She leans into my palm and closes her eyes. "You're so beautiful, Rae." I lean forward and place a soft kiss on her lips which has her eyes fluttering open. "You'll always be the most beautiful to me."

There's a knock on the door that has both of us basically catapulting out of the bed. The two of us look back and forth between the two of us. She points to the bathroom and I'm remembering a time when Liam had walked in on a similar scenario. I'm listening to see who it is. Please, God, don't let it be Rhys. But it's not. It's my father telling her Jamie is looking for her.

Once I hear the door close I exit the bathroom. My father is standing in front of the bedroom door with his arms crossed over his chest. His features are fixed on me in irritation.

"What are you doing, Seth?"

"Just using the bathroom." I give him a shrug.

"Cut the bullshit." I don't even know why I try to lie to him. He always knows. "What's going on with you and Rae."

"Nothing," his eyes pierce mine "nothing, really." He just continues. "Okay, I kissed her. That's it. Nothing else happened between us." He cocks an eyebrow. "I'm serious."

"She's married, Seth." His tone is icy, a warning.

"I'm well aware of that." I shoot the words back at him.

"Think about that little boy downstairs. Don't you dare fuck with the family he has." I nod in understanding feeling the guilt ride through me. I feel like such a fucking selfish dick. "Come on, let's get back to it." He nods to the door and exits.

I follow behind him but not before taking one last look at the bed I'd just had Rae splayed out on top of.