26. Back To Harbor

I pull up to the building Rae said she now lived in. It's brand new, beautiful, and most likely has a ridiculously expensive rent that goes along with it. Harbor Luxury Apartments. I wonder if it's as big as her brother's place. He really didn't need a three bedroom apartment all to himself but that's Rhys for you. He was always one to over-indulge, much like his sister had this evening.

Rae was quiet the entire car ride. She just stared aimlessly out the window, not engaging me in any way. I'd even asked her a few questions but she didn't answer me. Just stared blankly, ignoring every single thing I was saying.

I hop out of the truck and go over to her side. I open the door, offering her a hand to help her get down. She grabs ahold of it and goes to step down but her heels catch and she falls forward into my arms. I hold her for a moment as she lets out a long string of expletives.

"You alright?" I asked, looking down at her.

"I'm fine." She looks up at me saying, "you can let me go now, Seth." I slowly release her not really wanting to let her go. I hadn't held her in my arms since seeing her at the restaurant and it had been months before that.

"You want me to walk you inside?"

"No, I've got it." She takes a step forward and stumbles a bit, letting out an irritated sigh as she does so. "Fine, yes and you can wipe that smirk right off your face."

My shoulders shake as I try to hide the laugh and smile that want to escape me. "Sorry, shall we?" I hold out an elbow to her.

She takes it and leads the way forward into the building. We take the elevator up to almost the top floor then walk down a short hallway to her apartment. She tries opening the door but can't get a handle on her keys.

"Jesus H Christ, I can't do anything right now." She fiddles with the keys some more angrily. "Oh my fucking god. I swear-"

"Here, let me." I put my hand over hers and help her unlock the door.

Once it's open I don't know what to do. Here lately this would be the part where I grab the woman, kiss her passionately, and then take her straight to her bedroom. That clearly wasn't going to happen right now though, no matter how badly I may want it to. So I just stand there awkwardly.

"Thanks." She removes her keys from the door, stepping inside.

I nod. "Looks like a nice place."

She stares at me for a moment as if contemplating something. "You uh, you want to come in and check it out?"

Jesus fucking Christ, yes I do.

"Yeah, sure." She stares at me for one more moment before stepping aside to let me in. I take a few steps inside and eye a pair of men's slippers on the floor by the door. "Do you live by yourself?"

"Yeah," she shuts the door. "Those are Liam's. He just leaves them here for when he..."

"Got it." I don't need or want to hear about that. "How long have you lived here?"

"About six months." She slips her heels off. "You still living with your dad?"

"Nah, I got my own place."

"Nice." She walks into the kitchen and grabs two glasses out of the the cabinet. "Where abouts?"

"Not far from here actually." I cross my arms and lean against the counter as she pulls a bottle of whiskey out of the cabinet.

"Ice?"

"No, neat." She pours a small amount in each glass and then hands it to me. "Thanks." Even though I want to tell her she probably shouldn't have anymore, I don't. I'm not ready for her to kick me out just yet.