23. Congratulations & Celebrations

"You know how proud of you I am, right?" My father said while looking at the dinner menu. "You've done something I never was able to do."

"It's just a degree, dad." I take a sip of my gin and tonic. "It's not a big deal."

He puts the menu down on the table and deadpans, "stop down playing your accomplishments, Seth. You're better than that." He picks the menu back up and continues looking over it. "So, what are your plans now? You don't have to keep working at the club forever, I'd honestly prefer you not. We've got adequate help."

I ponder that for a moment. I'd been giving it some thought but I wasn't sure if he'd be happy about it or not. I sip my drink again before saying, "well, I think I want to open my own gym. One where people can train in boxing and mixed martial arts. I'd really love to do something I'm passionate about."

He surprises me by saying, "I think that's a great idea."

"You do?"

"Of course I do. You can stop doing fights and focus on building a business. It's something you're good at and now you have the education behind you to help you be successful. You're like your mother, you think like her, I know you'll be successful if you put your mind to it." He closes the menu, putting it on the table. "I have no idea how to pronounce half of the shit on that menu."

"Me neither." I laugh.

"Italian was your mother's thing, not mine." He lets out a long sigh before saying, "I wish she was here for this, Seth. She'd be so damn proud of you. You know that, right?"

I smile and nod, wishing she were here too. I miss her every single day. Italian food always reminds me of my mother, which is why my father had probably chosen this restaurant. He probably wanted some semblance of her while we celebrated together. It was brand new and way too fancy, but here we are.

We may have money but we sure as hell don't look like the majority of these hoity-toity pricks. Even dressed in nice clothing we get looks. The tattoos creeping up my neck and down my fathers hand probably have something to do with it. No, we aren't your typical vineyarders.

The waiter comes up and my father says, "just get us two of the most expensive thing on the menu."

When the waiter quirks and incredulous eyebrow I add sternly, "did he fucking stutter?" His eyes widen and I think the poor guy is about to piss himself as he scurries away. I laugh as I watch him but as I do something else catches my eye.

I feel my heart beat in my chest just a touch stronger as I see Rae across the restaurant. She's sitting there, laughing at Liam before he says something to her. He pulls a box out of his jacket pocket and hands it to her. After playing with it for a moment she opens it, pulling out a piece of jewelry.

Probably something ridiculously shiny and expensive. Cue my eye roll.

I cock my head trying to gauge her reaction but they're too far away. He hands her a piece of paper afterward. What the fuck is that? She slowly sets down the paper and it appears their conversation is getting relatively serious. Well, from what I can see from my seat it is.

"Seth?"

"Huh?" I bring my attention back to my father who cocks an eyebrow. "What?"

He looks over his shoulder in the direction I'd been looking and then back at me. "Have you talked to her recently?"

"Nope." Not since that morning I'd left her there with a happy, satisfied grin on her face. There were no words spoken between us after that and it would appear that was for the best, just like I'd thought. She's actually happy now.