30. Caught In The Rain

I'm sitting here outside of Rae's apartment because I couldn't be with Chrissy. She'd undressed herself down to a beautiful set of lace lingerie and gotten down on her knees. She was ready to blow me away and all I could think about was Rae. Chrissy had looked up at me with that sultry pout and I'd told her I was sorry, that I couldn't do this anymore.

She'd looked hurt and embarrassed, telling me to fuck off and get out through angry tears. I felt bad, or at least I wanted to. But as much as what I'd said may have not been what she'd wanted to hear, I had needed to say it. Because the things that were actually on my mind were even less fair to her. Rae was right. I needed to stop messing with her, using her.

So, that's exactly what I'd done instead of get a blow job. I'd gotten in my truck and drove to the real place I wanted to be. The problem is that there's a familiar car parked on the street; Liam's car.

When I'd seen it the first thing I'd done is give a hearty eye roll at the ostentatious vehicle. A Mercedes-Benz coupe convertible. This is fucking Boston. No one in their right mind would drive a convertible all year long. I'll tell you who would though; an egotistical asshat.

Bet it does a fabulous job at maneuvering through two-feet of snow.

Now, I'm pretty deep into self-loathing land, not a place I've been familiar with until recently, because all I can think about is what they're in there doing. How he's in there touching her. Liam's probably inside of her at this very second, making love to her. He's probably watching her roll around in the sheets and admiring the way her red hair fans out perfectly across them. He's probably kissing her soft lips and whispering how much he loves her at this exact moment.

I let of a loud aggravated huff and punch the dashboard forcefully. "Fuck." That wasn't a good idea. "Why do I always have to fucking punch stuff?" I continue grumbling to myself in frustration. Right as I'm about to start my truck and drive away from this self-torture Liam exits the building.

Speaking of grumbling to one's self, he's doing the exact same thing. I roll down my window as quickly and quietly as I can. "Always comes in between-" I can't make out the rest because it starts to rain but I could've sworn I heard my name. He swears loudly and slams his car door before taking off.

I wait for a while, hoping he doesn't come back. I want to run inside those doors and right up to her but I can't do that if he comes back. It didn't seem like he was. Well, considering the fact he was mumbling in aggravation right before he left at least.

I watch the clock tick by for what seems like an eternity as the rain berates my truck windows. At first I was waiting because of Liam and now I'm waiting for this storm to pass but it doesn't look like it's going to let up any time soon.

"Fuck it." I jump out of my truck and run across the street to her building. By the time I make it to the door I'm soaking wet. I'm absolutely drenched. It probably looks like I just took a dip in the harbor.

Thankfully the guy at the door remembers me from the other night and lets me into the building without much hassle. I go over to the elevator, press the button, and wait impatiently for it to arrive at her floor. When it eventually does I almost bust my ass getting out due to the giant puddle of water at my feet.

I knock a few times on her door but don't get an answer and that's probably due to the raging storm outside. I knock again and hear her get up from wherever she is and come to the door.

She opens the door saying something but stops the moment she sees me. She's looking up at me woefully, like something she inevitably can't get away from. I'm probably looking down at her with a similar gaze. Because no matter what, it comes back to her.