23. Congratulations & Celebrations

Start from the beginning

"Is that that same guy she was with before?" He's looking back at them. "That douchey rich guy that called her princess?" He looks back at me. "God, what was his name..." He raps his knuckles on the table as he ponders out loud, "Larry? Lenny? Lee?"

"Has anyone ever told you that you're horrible with names?"

He laughs loudly and says, "you have no idea. It's something that's gotten me into some big trouble before."

"Anyway," I roll my eyes at my still chuckling father, "yeah, that's him. That's Liam." I drink the rest of my drink and signal the waiter for another. When I look back I notice her excusing herself from the table. "I'll be right back," I say as I stand up automatically.

I'm about to walk away when my dad grabs my arm, "Seth," I look down at him in irritation but he shakes his head with a sigh, "just be careful. No fighting in fancy restaurants, deal?" I nod but don't say anything else as I pull my arm away and go after her.

I can't help myself. It's been six months. Six whole fucking months without a single word spoken between us, without even seeing her. I haven't even seen her in school. Now, here she is, for the first time in months.

I quickly walk through the tables, checking over to see if Liam is looking in my direction and thankfully he's not. Once I'm in the small hallway that leads to the bathrooms I stall.

What do I do? Just wait?

I look around and begin to feel awkward as people come and go. I shouldn't have followed her. I should just go back to the table. I probably look like a fucking stalker.

I pivot and begin to walk away when I hear her. "Seth?" I freeze at the sound. "Seth." And the way her voice lingered on the syllable of my name makes me sigh in the deepest of ways.

I turn around and give her a small smile before saying, "hey, Rae."

We stare at each other for what seems like an eternity. I'm just standing there looking her up and down, taking in her slender, curved frame covered in green silk. She looks me up and down as well, probably taking in the tailored suit and upscale clothes I next-to-never wear.

"You look good-" we both say the words simultaneously to one another which makes us both laugh.

"Thank you," she blushes. "You clean up nice." She takes a step closer, grabbing the lapels of my coat jacket. "What is this... Dior?"

I laugh, "yeah actually, it is." I finger the green strap on her shoulder, "I have no idea who made this but the color looks amazing on you." And I realize it's because the color she's wearing is one I see in the mirror everyday. I let my fingers linger on her skin for a moment longer and the sensation brings up the memory of the last night I'd spent with her.

I run my fingers down her arm, touching the soft skin there and think back to that night. I think about her sitting on top of me, me on top of her. All of those beautiful little faces she'd made and the way she said my name, I think about it all.

"Seth..." I tear my eyes away from her skin to look at her face. Her beautiful face. "Please..."

"Sorry." I pull my hand away from her and shove it in my pants pocket to keep from caressing her delicate skin again.

She takes a moment, studying me before saying, "I heard you graduated, congratulations."

"Thanks. That's why my dad and I are here." I shrug. "Sort of a celebratory thing."

"We're celebrating too." And she doesn't say his name but I know she's talking about Liam.

"What are the two of you celebrating?" Please don't say an engagement.

She gives me a large, heartbreakingly beautiful smile as she happily says, "It's my birthday."

"God, I'm a fucking idiot for not remembering that one." I shake my head in disappointment at myself. "Happy birthday, Rae."

I open my arms to hug her and she hesitates momentarily before quickly embracing me back. I thought she'd let go instantaneously but she didn't. No, instead she clings to me tightly which has me wrapping my arms around her the same way. I place my face in her hair, taking in her scent and I feel a swelling inside my chest.

She starts to pull away but I maintain my hold on her, "Seth..." she doesn't have to continue because I know what she's going to say. I'm with Liam, let me go.

"I know." I let her go after one more moment. "I just... just-" I just miss holding you.

She doesn't look at me as she says, "I should get back." I have no time to respond before she quickly walks away, leaving me there. But she didn't have to look at me for me to know there were tears in her eyes, because there are tears in mine as well.