NINETY-SIX

The device that belonged to Nick Fury continued to beep as it was hooked up to the battery system in the Avengers Compound

The device that belonged to Nick Fury continued to beep as it was hooked up to the battery system in the Avengers Compound. The gold, red, and blue patterns on the screen still lit up until suddenly, the battery gave way, the beeping ceasing and the colors on the screen disappearing from view.

Steve Rogers stood in front of the holographic screens, watching as the red lights across the globe became more and more frequent. The global missing persons total was well into the three billion range, climbing by the millions every single second.

For just a second, Steve took that old compass out one more time, and looked down at the smiling face of the woman he loved more than life itself. She could be out there somewhere, her and Tony. They could be in pain or...they could be dead. His fiance could be reduced to nothing but dust, just as their best friend had been.

"This is a nightmare," Steve mumbled, watching the numbers climb exponentially as he slipped the compass into his pocket once more. Natasha stood at his side, an equally horrified look on her face.

"I've had better nightmares,"

"Hey," both Steve and Natasha turned at the sound of Rhodey's voice in the doorway. "So that thing just stopped doing...whatever the hell is was doing."

Steve and Natasha followed after Rhodey into the lab, were Bruce was currently working on the computer, going over the numbers on the screen that led to the shut off of the pager.

"What do we got?"

"Whatever signal it was sending finally crapped out," Bruce told the team as they stood in front of the pager. Steve looked over at him quickly.

"I thought we bypassed the battery?"

"We did," Rhodey told him. "It's still plugged in it just...stopped."

"Reboot it and send the signal again," Steve told Bruce who looked at him.

"We don't even know what this is-"

"Fury did," Natasha cut in, looking at the team. "Just do it, please. And tell me the second you get a signal. I wanna know who is on the other end of that thing."

The team turned around, coming face to face with a young blonde woman. Her suit was red and blue, a gold star sitting in the middle of her chest.

"Where's Fury?"

END OF PART SIX
"we're in the endgame now"

◼ ◼ ◼

OH YES BABY HERE WE FREAKING GO