FORTY-THREE

"A symbol to the nation

"A symbol to the nation. A hero to the world. The story of Captain America is one of honor, bravery and sacrifice,"

Charlotte Watson's fingers lightly danced over Steve's forearms, her arm wound through his as they moved together. Caps sat on their heads, doing their best to disguise them from the tourists that were currently moving through the Smithsonian beside them.

Lottie's eyes trailed over the large wall of Captain America, showcasing a painting of Steve saluting with the American Flag waving in the background. She allowed her head to rest on his should for a moment as she smiled fondly at the wall.

"Denied enlistment due to poor health, Steven Rogers was chosen for a program unique in the annals of American warfare. One that would transform him into the world's first super soldier,"

The digital screens across the room showcases Steve, transforming him from his original self to his serum enhanced self, giving the children a transformation to gawk over. Steve and Lottie stood in front of the information board, looking at the photographs of Steve's first days of training.

"I don't know what you saw in that kid," Steve joked, nodding his head toward the old photo of his scrawny self. Lottie's smile softened as she looked upon him, feeling Steve look down at her as she spoke.

"I saw his heart of gold from the moment I met him on the playground as kids," Lottie told the man beside her, looking up to meet his eyes. "I knew that he was a good man, and I knew I was going to fall hopelessly in love with him."

"And you still are?"

"I always will be,"

Steve and Lottie took a second, basking in their smiles, before their eyes trailed toward the side of the room with digital screens. There was a young boy standing across the room, gawking at the two. He had recognized them.

The soldiers shared a grin, Steve motioning for the boy to be quiet while Lottie shot him a wink. He gave them a little nod in return as they moved through the exhibit.

"Battle tested, Captain America and his Howling Commandos quickly earned their stripes. Their mission, taking down HYDRA, the Nazi rogue science division,"

They passed Steve's old bike as it stood on display, coming up on the display of the Howling Commandos uniforms.

There uniforms were displayed down the line, pictures of them all posed behind each mannequin. Steve's uniform sat front and center, the old red, white, and blue suit that Lottie had grow so accustomed to him wearing, followed by the first shield that he ever had from their days on the stage.

Lottie's uniform sat directly beside Steve's. Her old black suit, with that familiar leather jacket over the shoulders. She had given it to Tony to donate to the museum on her behalf, saying that she needed to let go of the past, even if it hurt.