FORTY-FIVE

Steve Rogers sighed, twirling the keys to his and Lottie's apartment between his fingers as he ascended the stairs, the familiar doorway right in front of him

Steve Rogers sighed, twirling the keys to his and Lottie's apartment between his fingers as he ascended the stairs, the familiar doorway right in front of him. He stood before it, fumbling with the keys as he heard the family voice of his neighbor approaching her own door.

"That's so sweet. That is so nice. Hey. I gotta go, though. Okay, bye," Kate hung up her phone, turning to Steve with a grin. "My aunt, she's kind of an insomniac."

Steve laughed, looking down to see her holding her laundry basket.

"Hey, if you want, you're welcome to use Lottie and mine's machine. Might be cheaper than the one in the basement,"

"That's sweet Steve, but I wouldn't want to intrude on you two," Kate gave the man before her a small smirk. "Plus, you really don't want my scrubs in your machine. I've just finished orientation in the infectious diseases ward, so."

"I'll keep my distance," Steve said with a laugh. "Plus you wouldn't be intruding, you know Lottie loves you."

"You two can invite me over for a celebration dinner once you finally propose to her," Steve's cheeks burned bright as Kate laughed, shooting him a wink as she opened her door. "Oh, and I think you left your stereo on."

"Oh, thank you..."

Steve trailed off, a frown crossing his lips as Kate entered her own apartment. He turned to look at the door, backing away slowly. He knew neither Lottie or him had left the stereo on when they had left.

Sliding open the side window of the apartment, Steve climbed inside as quickly and quietly as he could. He could hear the radio, hear it playing music silently through the home. He crept along the hallway, grabbing his shield from where it rested against the wall as he slowly turned the corner into the living area.

Steve sighed, relaxing slightly when he realized that it was Nick Fury resting in his arm chair.

"I don't remember giving you a key,"

"Didn't need one, he had me,"

Steve's eyes widened as he saw Lottie stumble her way out of the kitchen, ice pack held to her forehead as he other hand gripped onto her side. Steve quickly grabbed onto her, bringing her close and whispering to ask if she was okay, still checking over her when she told him she was fine.

"My wife kicked me out," Fury explained, sitting up in his seat. "Watson told me I could crash here."

Steve stole a glance down at Lottie, who only nodded. He turned back to Fury immediately.

"Didn't know you were married,"

"There's a lot of things you don't know about me,"

"I know, Nick. That's the problem," Steve reached forward on the wall, flipping on the light that sat next to Fury. His eyes went wide when he noticed Fury's condition, the multiple lacerations across his face. Lottie gave Steve a look, one she hoped screamed to trust her, as she shut the light off again as Fury typed away on his phone.