SEVENTY

"11 Wakandans were among those killed during a confrontation between the Avengers and a group of mercenaries in Lagos, Nigeria, last month

"11 Wakandans were among those killed during a confrontation between the Avengers and a group of mercenaries in Lagos, Nigeria, last month. The traditionally reclusive Wakandans were on an outreach mission in Lagos when the attack occurred,"

Wanda Maximoff's head laid in the lap of Charlotte Watson, eyes trained on the news playing on the TV of her room in the compound. Lottie frowned as she watched the news, running her fingers up and down Wanda's arm in an attempt to keep her calm as Kind T'Chaka of Wakanda appeared on the screen before them.

"Our people's blood is spilled on foreign soil. Not only because of the actions of criminals, but by the indifference of those pledged to stop them. Victory at the expense of the innocent, is no victory at all."

The soldier could feel how Wanda tensed up as the screen switched to a board room full of news anchors and specialists debating the topic.

"They are operating outside and above the international law. Because that's the reality, if we don't respond to acts like these. What legal authority does an enhanced individual like Wanda Maximoff have to operate in Nigeria-"

Lottie was quick to grab the remote turning off the news channel. Wanda sat up quickly, looking over at her.

"Turn it back on, they're being very specific,"

"It's not your fault," both women turned to the doorway, where Steve now rested against the frame. He and Lottie shared a small smile as he walked into the room, sitting on the other side of Wanda. "I should've clocked that bomb vest long before you had to deal with it. Rumlow said Bucky and-"

"All the sudden, we were two kids back in Brooklyn," Lottie finished off, taking Wanda's hand in her own as she looked at the young girl. "It's on all of us."

"This job... We try to save as many people as we can. Sometimes that doesn't mean everybody. But if we can't find a way to live with that, next time... maybe nobody gets saved,"

The trio looked over to the bedroom wall leading to the hallway as Vision suddenly phased through it, materializing in front of them. Wanda sighed as Lottie let out a small chuckle at the action.

"Vis! We talked about this,"

"Yes, but the door was open so I assumed that-" Vision stopped himself when he realized that everyone was just staring at him, so he took a closer step into the room. "Captain Rogers wished to know when Mr. Stark was arriving."

"We'll be right out Vis," Lottie told the android, sending him a small smile.

"I'll... use the door. Oh, and apparently, he's brought a guest," Vision informed them, stopping in the doorframe of the room to look back at the three on the bed. "The Secretary of State."

◼ ◼ ◼

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack. I dropped right in the middle of my back-swing. Turned out it was the best round of my life, because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass... I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me: Perspective,"