FIFTEEN

"The HYDRA camp is in Krausberg, tucked between these two mountain ranges

"The HYDRA camp is in Krausberg, tucked between these two mountain ranges. It's a factory of some kind,"

Steve nodded along with what Peggy was saying, casting a glance toward Lottie every few seconds. The leather jacket was zipped up to her chest as she nodded along with what Peggy was currently telling them. She met Steve's eyes for a split second, giving him a small smile.

"We should be able to drop you right on the doorstep," Howard called out to them from the pilot's seat of the plane they were sat in.

It didn't take much persuasion from Lottie for Howard to decide to help them out at all, which put Steve slightly on edge. Every time he looked between the two of them he could see how close they had become, and Steve couldn't deny that it hurt. Why would Lottie choose him when she could have Howard Stark?

"Just get us as close as you possibly can, last thing we need to do is risk your lives as well," Lottie told Howard, looking over at Peggy. "You're both going to be in a lot of trouble once you get back?"

"And you two won't?"

"Where we're going, if anyone yells at us, we can shoot them," Steve countered, gaining a small laugh from Lottie that he couldn't help but smile over.

"Steve, they're going to shoot back at us, you know?"

"That's why I've got you, Peggy says that serum made you a great shot," Steve told his best friend, before referring to his shield. "We can also hope this is good for something."

"Oh yes, I'm sure that flimsy metal is going to protect us," Lottie teased, trying to hide the blush that was crossing her cheeks when Peggy shot her a suggestive wink. Steve passed Lottie a parachute to strap on and he worked on his own.

"Hey Lottie, if you two finish this up pretty quickly I was thinking maybe we could stop off in Lucerne for a late night fondue," Howard called back, turning around to look at Lottie. Steve watched as the girl sent him a teasing smile.

"I would agree because the fondue is no doubt better there then when we got it on Bellford Street, but I have a feeling this might take awhile,"

Steve's smile dropped as he listened to the two of them laugh together. He saw how happy Howard seemed to make her, and as much as it pained him he had to accept that Lottie would never love him the way he loved her.

Peggy step the entire interaction watching Steve, a frown on her lips as she realized what must be going through his head. If only he knew how non-romantic Lottie and Howard's relationship truly was, then maybe he's realize how much Lottie loved him.

The pair locked eyes the second that Lottie turned back to the conversation, noticing the way they were looking at each other as a frown appearing on her face.

"Stark is the best civilian pilot I've ever seen. He's mad enough to brave this airspace, we're lucky to have him," Peggy explained to Steve, who only nodded and turned to Lottie uncomfortably.