SEVENTY-TWO

Steve Rogers leaned against a pole in the city of Vienna, his identify covered by his signature ball-cap and sunglasses

Steve Rogers leaned against a pole in the city of Vienna, his identify covered by his signature ball-cap and sunglasses. His phone was pressed to his ear, only ringing for a second before the familiar voice of Natasha Romanoff rang through.

"Yeah?"

"You alright?" he questioned, gaining a small sigh from the woman on the other end.

"Ah, yeah, thanks. I got lucky," Natasha paused for a moment as Steve heard her shift around. "I know how much Barnes means to you and Lottie. I really do. Stay home. You'll only make this worse. For all of us. Please."

"You saying you'll arrest us?"

"No. Someone will. If you interfere. That's how it works now," Natasha paused once more, her sigh filling the speakers. "You help him, you know what comes next, you know how it ends. Do you really want to drag Lottie and Sam into that?"

"That's their choice,"

Steve meant his words, but he also frowned at his friend's. Of course he knew where this led. Whether Bucky did it or not, without concrete evidence, he was a criminal. If they interacted with him, they were criminals too. He was about to drag one of his best friends and his fiance into a giant mess.

"If he's this far gone, Nat, Lottie and I should be the ones to bring him in," Steve finally told her after a moment of silence. If Bucky had done it, they would do just that. But he knew his friend, and he knew there was no way Bucky had done this.

Steve looked into the distance, seeing the faint outline of Natasha just yards away. He looked down quickly.

"Why?"

"We're the ones least likely to die trying,"

The call disconnected as Steve shoved the phone into his pocket once more. He maneuvered his way across the street quickly, making his way into a crowded bar just down the road from the UN building.

Charlotte and Sam sat side by side, enjoying a plate of fries together. They each adorned similar disguises to Steve, trying to keep their identities on the down low. At the sound of footsteps beside them they both looked to Steve, Lottie's hand immediately reaching out to take her fiance's hand.

"Is Nat okay?"

"She's alright, just a little shaken up," he quickly reassured her, giving her hand a squeeze.

"She tell you to stay out of it?" Sam questioned, taking his friend's silence as an answer. "Might have a point, you know."

"He'd do it for us," Steve quickly shot back, but Sam was ready with another comment.

"Maybe back in 1945," Sam looked at his friends as they both stared ahead, already knowing their minds were made up as he sighed. "I just want to make sure we considered all our options. The people that shoot at you two usually wind up shooting at me."