SIXTY-ONE

The walls were green

Charlotte Watson hated green. She always said the living room of her future home would be red. 

So why was the living room green?

"Oh goodness! I don't understand how you and Steven do this every day,"

Lottie looked away from the walls, turning in the middle of the living room to look at the doorway into the kitchen. Her eyes widened as tears pooled in her eyes.

"Mom?"

Dorothy Watson chuckled, waving the kitchen towel through the air to rid herself of the smoke that was slowly trickling out of the kitchen. She smiled at her daughter, a sight that made her breath catch in her throat.

"Are you kidding? You know neither of them actually use their stove,"

Margaret Carter appeared from the stairwell, descending the stairs in a gorgeous navy blue dress as her and Dorothy shared a laugh. Charlotte stumbled back, her head aching and sweat pooling on her forehead as she looked at the pair as they interacted.

"Come on, why would she? She always ran from the kitchen when you cooked," the deep voice of Thomas Watson filled Charlotte's ears as a tear trickled down her face. The man kissed his wife before looking up at his daughter, placing a hand on Dorothy and Peggy's shoulders. "Honey, you look a little sick. Have a seat, we'll grab your shower presents from the back porch."

Lottie's eyes widened at the mention of the word shower as the trio left the room. She looked down, her breathing becoming uneven as she saw her stomach. 

A little baby bump.

The bile rose in Lottie's throat as she quickly sat down on the tan colored couch, sinking back into the cushions. Her moment of peace was gone the second that  she heard the familiar laughter of two men she knew all too well.

"Listen, all I'm saying is if I'm not godfather, we're going to have a serious talk, punk,"

Steve Rogers laughed as he entered the living room, unaware of Lottie' wide eyed gaze on them as he turned back to their best friend, Bucky Barnes. Each of them held drinks in their hands, laughing together just like they always did.

"No need to beat me up, Buck. We wouldn't have anyone else as the godfather,"

"I'd hope so. Let me go help Thomas with the presents," Bucky looked over to Lottie, the charming smile crossing his lips as he grinned at her, slinking out of the room. "You're going to like my present the best, I swear!"

Lottie wasn't sure how she was breathing at this point, her mind moving at a mile an hour as one of her hands rested on her stomach. Steve looked over, furrowing his brows when he saw the state that she was in. He quickly sat down on the couch beside her, resting his hands on her own on her stomach.