THIRTY-ONE

"Right now I'm in the middle of nowhere

"Right now I'm in the middle of nowhere. If I wait any longer a lot of people are gonna die. Lottie, this is my choice."

"You know, I always talked about how I was waiting for the right partner to go dancing. Never got to tell you that it was always you,"

Steve let out a small sob, his grip tightening on the wheel of the ship and he directed it down toward the water. He let a small smile cross his lips.

"I guess Buck was right, we really were oblivious,"

"Cap, it's time,"

Steve Rogers shut the little compass that sat in his hands, shoving it quickly into one of the small pockets of his suit before pacing the brand new helmet on top of his head, fastening it tightly.

The world was strange, that much was true. He didn't quite understand any of it, even after eight months, and it was even harder coming to terms with the fact that everyone he loved was gone. Howard, Peggy, Bucky...Lottie, all dead in another time. The only way he could stop himself from thinking about them, form thinking about her, was to throw himself back in. SHIELD gave him that opportunity.

The back of the quinjet opened, and Steve gave a subtle thumbs up to Agent Natasha Romanoff, who was in the pilot's seat, before jumping down and deflecting Loki's blast with his shield right before it could hit the old man standing behind him.

"You know, the last time I was in Germany and saw a man standing above everybody else," Steve Rogers walked toward Loki, staring him down as the god rose to his feet. "We ended up disagreeing."

"The soldier. The man out of time, the man without love,"

Steve's gaze hardened on Loki at the mere mention of Lottie, his stance becoming firmer.

"I'm not the one who's out of time,"

The quinjet appeared behind Steve, guns aiming down toward Loki.

"Loki, drop the weapon and standdown,"

The god only smirked at the sound of Natasha's voice, firing his scepter up at the quinjet as it narrowly dodged. At the same moment, Steve threw his shield toward Loki, running forward and grabbing onto it against as he hit Loki once more, except this time the god didn't budge.

Steve used his shield for protection against Loki's attacks as the civilians around him ran for cover. He deflected a jab from Loki, only for the scepter to hit him in the gut and throw him back a couple feet. Steve looked up at Loki with a glare, chucking his shield toward him only to have it knocked away.

The two clashed again, Steve narrowly ducking under one of Loki's swings. Loki swept him out from under his feet, placing the tip of his scepter against Steve's head.