EIGHTY-EIGHT

The second Steve Rogers strolled into the Avengers Compound for the first time in two year, the first thing he felt wasn't happiness

The second Steve Rogers strolled into the Avengers Compound for the first time in two year, the first thing he felt wasn't happiness. The moment was bittersweet, as he was finally home, but the one thing that made it feel like home wasn't there.

"Mr. Secretary," was the first thing that poured out of Steve's mouth as he entered the meeting room of the compound, Natasha beside him while Wanda and Sam carried Vision behind them.

James Rhodes wore a smirk on his lips as he stepped out of the way, letting the group walk straight up to stand in front of the hologram of Secretary Ross.

"You got some nerve. I'll give you that," Ross sneered at the group as a smirk crossed Natasha's lips.

"You could use some of that right now,"

"Just because the world is on fire, you think all is forgiven now?" he questioned, raising an eyebrow at Steve, who didn't move a muscle.

"I'm not looking for forgiveness. And I'm way past asking for permission. Earth just lost their two best defenders. So we're here to fight," Steve took a step closer to the hologram, challenging him. "And if you wanna stand in our way... we'll fight you, too."

"Arrest them," Ross said as he turned back to Rhodey.

"All over it," he waved his hand through the air, the holograms disappearing before them. Rhodey looked down at his hands before looking back at Steve. "That's a court-martial...it's great to see you Cap."

"You too, Rhodey," Steve embraced the man for a second before Natasha stepped in, giving the man a hug of her own.

"Well," Rhodey nodded his head, looking around the group. "You guys look like crap. Must've been a rough couple of years."

"The hotels weren't exactly five stars," Sam shot back with a grin.

"I think you guys look great," Bruce spoke, being the one who called Cap, looking around at the broken team before his eyes landed on Natasha. "Yeah...I'm back."

Steve Rogers moved the team into one of the common rooms. Everyone spread out, taking their seats as they sat in silence for a few moments, contemplating everything that had already happened and what was about to happen.

The TV in the corner was on, the local news channel playing. Steve frowned at the sight of Tony and Lottie's pictures on the screen, phone footage from them battling the children of Thanos flashing across with the headline bright and big at the bottom: MISSING.

"Hey," Rhodey caught Steve's attention as he reentered the room with his phone, the entire team watching as he connected it to the digital screen in the middle of the room. "This came through a few minutes ago. Think you guys might wanna give it a listen."

"Rhodey...listen, Tony and I are okay...we're on the ship, Rhodey. Oh my god, we're in space," Steve Rogers froze at the sound of Lottie's voice flowing through the speakers. She sounded so scared and desperate, her voice cutting in and out every half a second. "Listen, we gotta stop this guy, we can't let him get the stones- No, no, no!"