SEVENTY-EIGHT

"You lied to me,"

"You lied to me,"

Steve Rogers shook his head, his tears falling now as he went to take another step toward Lottie. His heart broke when she took one step back, as if he was the most repulsive thing in the world right now.

Bucky put his gun down for a second, taking a step forward. Lottie shook her head, taking another two steps back.

"Don't! Just, stay away from me!"

The tears flowed freely down her face as she looked at the man she loved, sobs racking her body as she saw the guilt and regret in his eyes. He lied to her, they both had. They didn't tell her the truth.

Instead, she had to learn it by watching her best friend die.

"I was just trying to protect-"

"Protection, because that's what you're all about," Tony sneered, Steve whipping around to look him in the eyes. "You might be her fiance, but you don't get to decide what's best for her! For any of us!"

Tony looked away for a moment, before he turned back and his armor covered fist collided with Steve's face, sending him flying to the ground. Lottie could only step away in shock.

Turning to Bucky, Tony grabbed hold of his neck, throwing him across the room as he held him to the ground, beating him senseless. Steve was up onto his feet, throwing his shield at Tony as it knocked him back, only for Tony to shoot Steve across the room again.

He took Bucky by the neck once more, holding him up to a wall as he slammed him repeatedly. Bucky grabbed onto Tony's arm, his repulsor firing and hitting one of the containment pillars, the entire thing exploding as it began to collapse.

Charlotte Watson only stood off to the side, watching everything with wide eyes. For the first time since the serum, she didn't know what to do.

"Get out of here!" Steve called to Bucky. He quickly followed his orders, running back through the hallway and opening the hatch at the top that led to the outside. Steve turned around, coming face to face with Tony. "It wasn't him, Tony! HYDRA had control of his mind!"

"MOVE!"

Steve grabbed onto Tony, knocking out one of his jets on his boots with his shield before them both went flying through the opening.

Lottie generated her shield, running toward the action. No matter what she was feeling, she knew one thing: she couldn't let them kill one another.

Tony fired at the rumble, then entire wall meant to come crashing down on Steve, but it didn't. Steve was quick to jump through the rumble and taking off after him and Bucky. The last bits of rumble caught Lottie as she quickly slid underneath.

The woman let out a cry of pain, one of the sharp edges catching the side of her suit and ripping a large gash down her side. Her eyes stung with new tears as she pressed on the wound, tugging her self to her feet and into the open area in hopes of stopping the three from killing one another.