NINETY

"I can't believe I'm an Avenger now!"

Peter Parker was pacing around the ship in front of Lottie, where she sat with a little grin on her face as she watched the boy pace around. Strange and Tony were off near the wheel of the ship, talking things over about the coming conflict.

"Pete, it's not that big of a deal-"

"I'm an Avenger! This is so cool, but it's also so-"

"Terrifying, yes it is-"

"Oh, but now I can come on missions! I can do all the cool-"

"Peter, please come sit,"

Lottie's tone of voice tore Peter from his ramblings. He looked at the woman, giving her a silent nod as he walked toward her, taking a seat next to her on the small bench of the ship.

The woman watched the young boy with a smile as he waited nervously for her to speak.

"Have you ever heard Nick Fury's famous Avenger speech?" Peter shook his head as Lottie leaned toward him. "It was right before the Battle of New York. We had just lost Coulson, and the team took a hit. He sat us around the table of the helicarrier and he said 'There was an idea, to bring together a group of remarkable people, to see if they could become something more. See if they could work together to fight the battles that we never could'."

Lottie leaned in, her hand grasping onto Peter's as she brought his gaze to hers.

"Being an Avenger is exciting, it really is, and I wish you got to enjoy it. But Peter, you have to realize what's at stake here. This is what I tried to protect you from years ago. This job means laying down your life in order to give others the one they deserve, giving up everything you love to make sure others can keep what they love. Fighting the battles that no one else can. I wish you got to be a kid and enjoy this, but you can't. We've got a job to do, Pete, and you need to realize the severity of it,"

"I'm actually kinda scared," Peter confessed to her after a moment of silence. "Terrified, that's actually the word I should use. I...I just wish that May knew I was okay. I...don't want to let you or Mr. Stark down."

"You never could," Lottie pulled the younger boy into a hug. "We're just trying to keep you safe, Peter. And to do that, that means it's time to stop being a kid and it's time to be an Avenger."

The pair sat there for a moment or two, locked in their embrace. All Lottie wanted was to know that this kid, who she had grown so attached to over the last two years, was going to be okay. 

She was prepared to do anything to make sure he went home, even if it meant that she didn't.

The ship began to shake as Lottie and Peter pulled apart, looking around with wide eyes. The woman was quick to grab the boy, tugging him toward Strange and Tony.

"Hey, what's going on?"

"I think we're here," Strange commented as Tony's eyes widened, shoving past the group as he grabbed Lottie's arm.