FIFTY-TWO

Start from the beginning

Charlotte Watson walked alongside James Buchanan Barnes. She was in her nicest black dress that she could find in her closet, Bucky in his best suit. She had already said goodbye to her mother and father, knowing that this was where she needed to be right now.

"My folks wanted to give you a ride, but you disappeared,"

Young, skinny Steve Rogers fumbled around in his pockets, trying to find his apartment keys as Lottie and Bucky watched him with sad eyes.

"I know, I'm sorry. I just...kind of wanted to be alone,"

"You don't have to be, Stevie," Lottie's hand found it's way into Steve's, gripping it tight. On any other occasion, he would've blushed bright at the action. Today, he couldn't find it in him. "How was it for you?"

"It was okay...she's next to dad,"

Lottie looked up at Bucky, who sighed, grabbing the spare key from underneath a brick on the porch and handing it to Steve, who still couldn't find his own.

"I was going to ask-"

"I know what you're gonna say, Buck, I just-"

"When we were kids we'd put the couch cushions on the floor, all sleep together. Maybe you can do that?" Lottie suggested, already agreeing to the plan that Bucky had in his head. She just needed Steve to agree.

"It'll be fun, just like when we were younger. I'm sure Lottie will still come join us all the time. All you gotta do is shine my shoes, maybe take out the trash. Come on,"

"Thank you both for the concern, but I can get by on my own,"

Steve's hand slipped out of Lottie's as he turned toward the door. She stared at him sadly, watching as Bucky placed a hand on Steve's shoulder and turned him around to face his best friend and the woman he loved.

"The thing is, you don't have to. We're with you to the end of the line, pal."

"I'm thinking about it too," Steve looked up from his spot on the bridge, seeing Lottie walking toward him with Sam trailing slightly behind her. "That say after the funeral. Till the end of the line."

"Now he doesn't even know us,"

Steve's arms found their way around Lottie's shoulder, tugging her into him as he let himself have a moment, let himself appreciate the fact that he still had her. She was here, right in his arms.

"He's going to be there," Sam called out to the pair, smiling as he watched them pull away from their moment together.

"I know," Steve spoke.

"Look, whoever he used to be, the guy he is now, I don't think he's the kind you save. He's the kind you stop,"

"I don't know if I can do that," Steve told him honestly. Lottie only smiled, looking down at her shoes. She knew he wouldn't be able to, she admired that.

"Well, he might not give you a choice. He doesn't know you, either of you,"

"He will," Lottie spoke, looking back at Sam. She knew deep down, Bucky Barnes was in there. If anyone could get him out, it was Steve.

"Gear up, it's time,"

Steve began to walk away from the pair as he spoke, and Sam rose an eyebrow at the action.

"You gonna wear that?"

"No. If you're gonna fight a war, you gotta wear a uniform,"

Lottie smiled again as she watched him walk away, knowing exactly what he was doing. She looked up at Sam, who still looked confused.

"Buck might not know this Steve, but he sure as hell knows 1940 Steve. You'll see, suit up,"

◼ ◼ ◼

Only about two or three more chapters for part three and then it's time for Age of Ultron!!!!! I think I've decided to just keep everything in this book, I think it would be cool you know? But you guys tell me again, would you rather see a sequel ...

Only about two or three more chapters for part three and then it's time for Age of Ultron!!!!! I think I've decided to just keep everything in this book, I think it would be cool you know? But you guys tell me again, would you rather see a sequel or keep everything here in this one book?