FORTY-FOUR

Start from the beginning

Lottie's eyes flew open in time to see the car beside them pulling away. Fury shot a glance at Lottie, cocking an eyebrow at her.

"What did you see?"

"I don't know. There was this man, he seemed so-"

The car lurched, airbags deploying as a police car rammed into the side of the vehicle, followed by multiple other police cars as they were surrounded. Lottie's head flung to the side, banging off the window. She clutched her head, hand coming away to reveal a trickle of blood as she turned to Fury, seeing him in a similar state.

"Fury, fracture detected," the car AI spoke as Lottie and Fury looked outside, seeing their car surrounded. "Watson, concussion detected. Recommend anesthetic injection."

"Are there dispatch units in the area?" Lottie questioned the AI, realizing that it was police and SWAT teams surrounding them as Fury grabbed the anesthetic from the glove compartment and injecting himself with it.

"D.C. Metro Police dispatch shows no units in this area,"

Fury and Lottie exchanged a quick glance before the policemen outside opened fire on the vehicle.

The pair watched as the shields on the windows kept them safe, though Lottie knew they weren't going to hold long.

"Get us out of here!" Fury demanded.

"Propulsion systems offline,"

"Reboot!" Lottie called out, eyes widening as she saw the SWAT guys approach the driver's side window, battery ram in hands as they geared it up.

"Watson, get in the backseat," Fury demanded. Lottie quickly followed his order, climbing into the backseat as Fury climbed into her seat soon after.

"Warning! Window integrity compromised,"

"You think," the ram hit the car, Lottie and Fury hitting their heads off the windows as the entire vehicle shook before placing itself back on the ground. "How long till propulsion?"

"Calculating. Window Integrity thiry-one percent. Deploying countermeasures,"

"Hold that order!" Fury looked back at Lottie like she was crazy, but she was actually the most level headed person in the car as she stared back at him defiantly. "You want me to trust you? Start by trusting me. Hold that damn order until I say so."

The ram hit into the window again as Lottie tried to brace herself on the seats.

"Window Integrity nineteen percent. Offensive measures advised,"

"Wait!" Lottie called out again, watching the window closely. Fury looked between her and the window for a second before finally catching on to her plan, readying himself in position as the ram hit the car once more.

"Window Integrity one percent,"

"Fury, now!"

Lottie threw herself onto the floor of the backseat, covering her head as she heard the spray of bullets from the console gun as Fury fired through the window at the unsuspecting agents outside, following his attack with the grenade launcher attached.

"Propulsion systems now online,"

"Full acceleration!" Lottie demanded, shooting up in her seat as Fury continued to fire, the car finally making it's way out of the area and shooting down the street ahead.

"Initiate vertical take-off!" Fury commanded as Lottie watched from the back window, seeing the agents after them now.

"Flight systems damaged,"