TWENTY-SIX

Start from the beginning

The pair wasted no time, Tony instructing Lottie on exactly where to put each piece of the model on the table. They worked together, almost in sync, as they pieced the model together on the table. Tony grabbed his desk chair, rolling toward the table as Lottie stood beside him, examining it from above.

"Jarvis, could you kindly Vac-U-Form a digital wire frame? I need a manipulatable projection,"

Lottie watched as Jarvis did the scan, informing them that the model was complete. A blue projection of the scan lifted above the original, and Lottie moved forward and grabbed it, bringing it to the side and flipping it vertical. Tony only watched in amazement. Jarvis might have explained the technology, but this was her first time using it and she moved with it as if she had all her life.

Tony was definitely going to need to look into his father's old files on Project Athena.

"This doesn't look like a model for the Expo," Lottie mumbled as Tony got out of his seat, standing beside her in front of the projection before them. "It looks more like an atom. Which means the globe here in the center would be the nucleus."

Tony nodded along, stepping forward and taking hold of the globe and expanding it. Lottie watched as Tony instructed Jarvis to get rid of the surrounding footpaths and buildings.

"What is it that you're trying to achieve, sir?"

"I'm discovering... Correction. I'm rediscovering a new element, I believe,"

Lottie's eyes widened as she caught on to what Tony was doing, what Howard had possibly put into this Stark Expo model.

"Okay, so let's lose the landscaping and the shrubbery," Lottie told Tony, getting a nod of a head back as she began to move her hands, taking out certain parts of the model.

"Along with parking lots, exits, entrances..."

The pair worked as a team, taking everything away from the framework until all that was left was the globe, the nucleus. Tony sat back in his chair as Lottie placed a hand on his shoulder, both looking at what was left of their model.

"Structure the protons and the neutrons using the pavilions as a framework,"

The pair waited together as Jarvis followed Tony's instructions, compiling the data until the entire scan was complete. Lottie and Tony locked eyes for a single, fleeting moment before Tony threw his hands out, the project expanding around them

The blue hues of the project shone bright in the reflection of Lottie's eyes as she turned, admiring the technology that surrounded her, admiring what Howard had been able to create without the technology to bring it to life. 

Lottie could read all she wants about holograms and projections, memorize and understand the way they worked, but nothing would ever beat the moment she saw it up close.

"Dad...dead for almost 20 years, and still taking me to school,"

The blue disappeared from around Lottie as she turned back to Tony, seeing him holding a miniaturized version of their new element in his hands.

"The proposed element should serve as a viable replacement for palladium,"

"You did it, Howie," Lottie mumbled, a fond smile crossing her lips as she looked down at Tony and the element in his hands. He looked up to her, returning her smile.

"Unfortunately, it's impossible to synthesize,"

Lottie and Tony looked back at one another, the element still resting in Tony's hands. Tony's smile quickly turned to a smirk.