EIGHTEEN

Start from the beginning

Perfection was the only word that Steve could think of to describe Charlotte Watson.

"Captain," Lottie said, her tone playful and eyes peering into Steve's baby blue ones. Steve couldn't even stop the smile that he gave back to her.

"Lieutenant,"

"Lottie," Bucky said with a small smile, shooting his friend a wink. Lottie's eyes never strayed from Steve, though. She wasn't sure what it was, the fitted army suit, the neat styling of his hair, the lighting of the bar, or even the soft music in the background, but she couldn't tear her eyes away from him as she stepped toward the two men.

"Howard has some equipment for us both to try. Tomorrow morning?"

"Sounds good," Steve told her, his eyes still never straying away from her as Bucky only looked between the two.

"I see our top squad is preparing for duty," Lottie teased, nodding her head toward the table in the background that was pounding away shots like it was the last time they would ever have a drink.

Bucky was still smiling as he looked between his best friends, seeing exactly what they didn't see. He turned to Lottie, a smirk on his lips though he knew she wouldn't look toward him, not even for a second.

"Isn't this your favorite song playing, Lottie?"

"It is," she whispered, lost in the pools of blue that looked back at her. "Perhaps, when this is all over, I'll go dancing. Maybe this song will even play."

"What are we waiting for, then?"

"The right partner," Steve felt his heart skip a beat as Lottie said that familiar line, a line that he said all too often as well. Her smile was genuine, it lit up the room even when she knew the path that lied ahead of them. "0800, Stevie."

"I'll be there, Lottie,"

Lottie shot both of the boys one last smile before taking off out of the bar. She gave a final wave to their squad as she left, flashing them a bright smile as they raised their drinks to her.

Steve's eyes finally turned back to Bucky once Lottie was out of his line of sight, a grin on his lips.

"You're turning into me, Buck. You're invisible, she didn't look at you once,"

"Oh pal," Bucky said to his best friend, clapping a hand on his shoulder with a grin. "I'm always invisible to Lottie when you're around."

◼ ◼ ◼

"We've done a full design redo on your outfit," Howard explained to Lottie as she followed quickly behind him through the underground work space of the SSR they were currently in. "Well, for the most part. It looks quite a bit like it used to, but we've tried to make it a lot better for combat."

"As long as you've taken into consideration the notes I gave you and made sure my breasts aren't on full display, all will be well," Lottie shot back, catching Howard's playful glare.

"Oh trust me, I read through that extensive list of ideas. I don't know who let you read a book about sewing and the art of fashion, but they shouldn't have,"

"I just want to make sure my suit is prepared for anything, along with Steve's," Lottie tried to defend herself. It wasn't her fault that she was gifted a brain and memory. Howard only rolled his eyes, leading Lottie to where her suit sat upon a mannequin, displayed on the wall before them.

The suit was like a catsuit, much like the one that she had worn previously when Lottie was just a figure for people to ogle over. Instead of a zipper, the neckline cut into a modest v-neck, showing just some skin but not a lot. The sleeves were long, but hidden under the black leather jacket that sat a top her suit. A utility belt hung around her waist and hips, connected over her shoulders and around her back by thick straps, and accompanied by boots suitable for different weather and fighting techniques.