SEVEN

"Just stay still,"

"Just stay still,"

With a hiss, Lottie shut her eyes tightly as the needle pricked the back of her neck. Doctor Erksine and Agent Carter stood off to the side, waiting as Howard carefully administered the first round of the Project Athena serum to Charlotte.

She clenched her fists together as the serum was pushed into her body. The skin on the back of her neck burned as the serum began to flow through her body. 

The pain was over as quickly as it began, Howard pulling the needle from Lottie's skin and moving to stand in front of her.

"How do you feel, kid?"

"Like you just injected me with something," Charlotte shot back quietly, her voice laced with sarcasm. Howard only laughed, turning and giving Erksine and Peggy a thumbs up. They quickly descended the stairs and joined Howard's side as Lottie stood from her chair, rubbing the back of her neck lightly. 

"Charlotte, this is Agent Carter," Doctor Erksine introduced the two. They shook hands, the agent smiling at the woman before her.

"Please, call me Peggy,"

"And please call me Lottie,"

The pair let go of one another, turning to look at the two brilliant minds that stood next to them. Howard and Erksine were looking over a file that lied in their hands, before they looked up at the woman before them. Doctor Erksine closed the file, grinning at the young woman before him that truly did resemble her father.

"If you're ready, we'll move on to training exercise one. This section covers three of the most important cognitive functions: memory, perception, and attention,"

Howard and Erksine moved quickly throughout the building. Peggy hung beside Lottie, making sure that she kept up with the two geniuses in front of them. She looked down at Lottie, sending her a smile.

"I must say, you're pretty brave for blindly trusting a man you barely know and submitting to this project,"

"And you must be pretty brave to be an agent of the SSR," Lottie shot back, sending her a smile as well. She quickly focused on Howard and Erksine again, though. "My father was supposed to receive the serum in Project Rebirth before he died. If he could trust them, then so can I."

Peggy smiled down at the woman, in awe of the blind trust she had in Doctor Erksine. It made sense why her and Steve were so close with one another.

They followed the doctors into a room. It was blank brick walls, only a table and one chair left in the middle. A glass window sat on one end of the room. Peggy and Howard moved to stand on the other side as Lottie followed Doctor Erksine inside of the room.

"So, what might this test be?" Lottie questioned, sitting in the chair at the table. Doctor Erksine smiled, pulling a packet of information from under his coat and sliding it over to Lottie. She raised an eyebrow, looking down at it.